Xr400 k&n filter won't stay on

I have a 97 xr400 and it has a k&n air filter on it that won't stay on which makes it useless. Is there anyone who has had this problem with their filter or should I replace it with a different kind that stays on. Any help is appreciated.

Should you replace it with a different kind that stays on? Nah, what could happen?

Actually, if you are using the bike for anything besides just on the street, the K&N is NOT the filter you want to be using. If you do ANY off road, replace it with something different. Most suggested filter around here is the UNI foam filter that comes with it's own cage.

• Like 3

What do you mean by it has its own cage? I looked the uni filter uo n it dosnt show a cage option.

Get rid of the K&N.  I wouldn't even use one for street use & I bet OP doesn't use an XR400 for street only.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Xr Plumber said:

I use it mainly for offroad and dirt road riding.

Get a good quality foam filter.  If you don't like messing with the filter washing/re-oiling routine, you can buy pre-oiled filters. If you don't mind spending a little more money, consider them as disposable & toss it when it gets dirty.

Not sure the K&N oil has the same viscosity/sticky qualities of either Maxima or Bel-ray filter oils.  Maybe someone has tried it...?  As for the cleaning product, you'll be able to tell right away if it works on the foam filters.  All in all, generally speaking, any way you look at it, care of a foam filter is a pain in the a$$ but it will save your motor if you do it right so you gotta do it.

+1 on the UNI filter. Has a built in plastic cage that is removable so you can wash the filter element properly. Oil it well and ride the piss out of it. It goes in place and is held with the OEM spring band.

$32 - https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1667/6790/Uni-Air-Filter

$22 - http://outlawracingproducts.com/ourasuseairf.html (same thing but different brand)

K&N is not a filter you want to use offroad unless you like rebuilding your top end. It is meant to have great airflow but not trap lots of the small particulates that can harm your engine - great for the street. It is not meant to be oiled to capture the fine dust.    

2 hours ago, Xr Plumber said:

What do you mean by it has its own cage? I looked the uni filter uo n it dosnt show a cage option.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/734/6790/Uni-Air-Filter?PID=3329601&ref=cj

I mean it has a heavy duty plastic frame that the filter mounts over.  No, they don't actually show the cage or tell you that it includes it, but it does. It replaces the stock stainless steel, highly restrictive cage. Be aware that it breathes better than the stock cage so you may have to rejet.

Since it's a foam filter, don't be cleaning it with gas or anything that will attack the adhesive seams. I clean mine in warm water and Dawn, followed by warm water and Oxyclean. Lube with No Toil spray on.

Grease the surface of the filter that mates with the air box. If I remember right, the UNI filter has a foam strap across the middle. Cut that out.

KN air cleaner death to off road.You will never see race truck or bike racing in Baja with one. We have been using Uni forever. I would not cut out center foam,it helps hold the two sides together. True dont clean with gas,but I have to do it cleaning 10 even 20 air cleaners at a time. I have one bucket gas (outside) one with soapy water,one clean water. I call it 3 second filter clean. Filter can only be in gas 1 second ,then fast in soapy water, then clean water hang and dry. I only use white grease on filter lip,so I can see if leaking.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 0:22 PM, Xr Plumber said:

Can i use my k&n filter oil and wash?

I use K&N filter cleaner for my foam filters, actually nothing is better.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, bajatrailrider said:

KN air cleaner death to off road.You will never see race truck or bike racing in Baja with one. We have been using Uni forever. I would not cut out center foam,it helps hold the two sides together. True dont clean with gas,but I have to do it cleaning 10 even 20 air cleaners at a time. I have one bucket gas (outside) one with soapy water,one clean water. I call it 3 second filter clean. Filter can only be in gas 1 second ,then fast in soapy water, then clean water hang and dry. I only use white grease on filter lip,so I can see if leaking.

I just rode the length of BAJA with guys running K&N filters in KTM's and Huskies. They worked just as well as the KTM foam filters. We rode deep soft sand and plenty of miles in blinding dust.

Maybe proper prep is the key.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4strokeridertt said:

I just rode the length of BAJA with guys running K&N filters in KTM's and Huskies. They worked just as well as the KTM foam filters. We rode deep soft sand and plenty of miles in blinding dust.

Maybe proper prep is the key.

Ok 4SR you got me. So there is one handful  left on earth that does not know about KN filters. Just because they did a trip to baja does not mean KN filters good.Take off air boot look in Carb or FI see the nice clean sandblasted parts.KN air cleaners are great for engine rebuilders. Sorry those are the facts.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

Ok 4SR you got me. So there is one handful  left on earth that does not know about KN filters. Just because they did a trip to baja does not mean KN filters good.Take off air boot look in Carb or FI see the nice clean sandblasted parts.KN air cleaners are great for engine rebuilders. Sorry those are the facts.

Hey I was of the same thinking as you until I saw for myself the same nice clean intakes on the K&N bikes. I was stunned.
I will say that these guys are top level Baja riders and racers and they do tend to rebuild their motors more often than most.

• Like 1

That would be your Answer they tend to rebuild there motors more then most. For my long lasting Wr450s never KN  7 years all dirt one valve adj/ never pulled the head off. IF I report the miles it has you would call me a Lair.So we leave it rest Happy Trails all

• Like 3