YamaLube

Infamous oil leak from coolant weep hole

Hey Team,

I don't post often, mostly lurking in the shadows on here, so please be gentle.

I have a 2014 CRF250l, with about 10,000 on the clock. I haven't had any problems until now. Since I live in New England, my bike has been garaged for about 4-5 months. We are finally getting some nice weather, so I dusted her off and went for a rip.

When I returned home, I noticed a few drops of oil under the bike. At first I didn't think much of it, as the bike is always flawless. Next day, (today) I go out for another spirited ride, and again when I return home, the bike leaks a few drops. At this point, I realize something isn't right. I get under the bike and follow the leak to the coolant weep hole...

After further review it looks like others have had a similar issue. However all the threads on this topic kind of trail off without a posted resolution. It seems like some people have had this leak mysteriously disappear after a short time. Should I just keep an eye on it, or is it wishful thinking that it will stop leaking?

The bike only leaks when it's run, and it's only 3-5 drops of oil after each ride, but again it's never done this in 10,000 miles.

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks guys,

-Chris

The solution is to replace the oil seal behind the mechanical seal in the water pump. It should fix the drip issue. I've got over 14,000 miles on my bike and have yet to fix my oil weeping. I've heard it's a pain to do some I'm sort of holding out for as long as I think I should.

Thanks Burgan! Sorry to hear your in the same boat, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

So if I understand correctly, the oil is getting past the oil seal, but not entering the coolant because of the mechanical seal, right? I just want to be sure I'm not doing any damage.

I looked up the seal on Rocky Mountain, and it's only $2.93, but I think I would also need to change the mechanical seal, case gasket etc. Now I see what you mean, by being a pain to do!

Ebay sells a product called sealube. Just add a small amount to your oil and leak should stop. This stuff really works great on any seals. Never use it in brake systems. Transmissions, rear ends and motors.

@YamaLube

This is taken from the CRF250L service manual about the weep hole:

If water leaks through the bleed hole, replace the mechanical seal (page 9-9).

If oil leaks through the bleed hole, replace the oil seal (page 9-9).

Although, looking at the manual it seems like you have to pull the mechanical seal to get to the oil seal and then you should press in a new mechanical seal once the oil seal is replaced...

...I feel like someone else has actually gone through the time to replace the oil seal before...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Burgan said:

The solution is to replace the oil seal behind the mechanical seal in the water pump. It should fix the drip issue. I've got over 14,000 miles on my bike and have yet to fix my oil weeping. I've heard it's a pain to do some I'm sort of holding out for as long as I think I should.

What model year CRFL?

Few drops - hardly cause for concern. If water pump seal goes - replace both. Otherwise - keep an eye on it.

9 hours ago, Ridem32 said:

F_2. Why ask what year? Does a certain year model leak?

To narrow down if this has been fixed in later model year bikes.

• Like 1

Looks like a very easy fix. I'm not sure if you have to remove the whole right side cover or just the water pump. But the water pump seal looks just like a water pump seal on a Polaris RZR models. I'm putting in a clutch in a few days. Just waiting on my clutches and clutch springs. When I take off my cover I will check and see if the oil seal is behind the cover or in the cover. But the whole side cover comes off very easy and fast.

When I put my clutch kit in. Hoping Monday I will take some good pics of that seal. I think I can have the left side case off in 30 to 40 min using just hand tools.