Dirt bikers on Jeffco open space trails

Don't know if anyone is aware of this, but certainly reflects poorly on us. Yesterday, two dirt bikers were riding on Lair O the Bear bicycle trails and were ticketed. When prompted for an explanation they simply stated that it didn't say they weren't allowed. Maybe not posted, but clear in Jeffco open space regs that no motorized is allowed. Remember, if it doesn't say open, it's closed. Pay attention  to where you're at and stay compliant. G

• Like 2

You've said a mouthful. Thanks for bringing this to light.

There is a HUGE education gap among OHV recreationists. The belief that because the trail wasn't marked as "Quiet Use" only, it must be OK for motorcycles, quads, and 4x4s to use, is just plain ignorant.  They couldn't have been more wrong. In fact, the exact opposite is true. If the trail isn't marked as being OK for motorized use, then the default is that we CANNOT use it. 

Much of our bad reputation among other public lands users is due to incorrect assumptions (or outright disregard of the rules) about we can go on our machines. The fact is, this isn't the wild west in 1972 anymore. The government has defined very specific rules around our access to public land. If it isn't posted as OHV-OK or it isn't on a current MVUM, you can assume that we can't use that trail.

Thanks again for posting this.

Idiots are everywhere.  Like my encounter last week with the 2 retards on ATVs that I posted in the Senior Dirt Bikers thread in General Dirt Bike.  Unfortunately after all these years I am finally beginning to realize you can't fix stupid.

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone is aware of this, but certainly reflects poorly on us. Yesterday, two dirt bikers were riding on Lair O the Bear bicycle trails and were ticketed. When prompted for an explanation they simply stated that it didn't say they weren't allowed. Maybe not posted, but clear in Jeffco open space regs that no motorized is allowed. Remember, if it doesn't say open, it's closed. Pay attention  to where you're at and stay compliant. G

Effing morons. How did you hear about this? The mountain bikers justifiably should have given them an earful. How'd they even offload their bikes from their trucks/trailers without getting an earful?

Read about this on a mtb trail monitor page on FB.

On 4/12/2017 at 3:27 PM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Idiots are everywhere.  Like my encounter last week with the 2 retards on ATVs that I posted in the Senior Dirt Bikers thread in General Dirt Bike.  Unfortunately after all these years I am finally beginning to realize you can't fix stupid.

You can fix stupid, but it takes real dedication........