Any benefit with using Holeshot device in hare scrambles?

Save up for a riding class with a good teacher. Waaay better money spent. :ride:

• Like 2

Now that I've got the hole shot device I use it for harescrambles, heck I use that on group trail rides every time we stop and proceed to full throttle launch every time we take off just to give me the edge:p kidding, I'm not cool enough to own any of that stuff

• Like 1

Hare scrambles are not won or lost in the first 30 seconds of the race.  Just my humble opinion.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, lrbest4x4xfar said:

Does anyone have any experience or feedback using a holeshot device in hare scrambles?

I'm wondering if it would give any advantage or make the start easier. I might buy one, depending on what you guys think.

Even though they are dead engine starts,  I have seen a lot of guys in my class wheeling way up and loosing ground.  I think it is a good idea and help keep the front down, and certainly can't hurt to get out ahead of the numb-skulls before you enter the woods. 

• Like 1

Agree with Jrs Turn and T.Bane.  The hare scrambles I've been in were 2 to 3 hours long on average and the last was a 6 hour, and absolutely nothing was decided in the first 30-seconds and that is the only place the holeshot device does anything.  For bike performance, spend some time and money with suspension setup and maybe a good flywheel(I just usually run a little heavier, but I'm sure some with the rekluse will tout their qualities as well), then a couple lessons from a trials rider or a top enduro rider will help with techniques that can be used all through the course.

Still, the less energy you spend passing numb-skulls in that first lap, the more energy you have for the next thre hours.  Makes sense?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

Still, the less energy you spend passing numb-skulls in that first lap, the more energy you have for the next thre hours.  Makes sense?

No, not really.  Riding beyond your abilities because you are trying to stay ahead of people faster than you will burn more energy than it takes to pass someone.  Especially since most riders are smart enough to move to the side.  

If someone is taking a mx bike to a harescramble, they are not concerned about staying ahead or passing anyone.  

I watched a 105sx smoke a whole field of 250s for the hole shot a few weeks ago.  

• Like 1

A holeshot device in offroad probably isn't going to help, but if it makes you feell like it does than yes, it will help. There is merit to the placebo effect. 

For me, considering all the variables such as a dead engine start, straddling the back fender, running 50yrs towards the bike, maybe a boot is off, starting against a log etc etc, someone with a quicker starting bike or better experience is going to get to the first corner first... Practicing starts, especially in dead engine situations is extremely valuable. Knowing how much throttle you can give, if the bike starts better in gear vs not, e-start vs kick etc etc. I also found what really helps is driving deeper (being more aggressive) into the corner usually can result in a top 3 start coming from a near dead last start. MX has taught me to be more aggressive which for offroad many seem to ignore. Many many guys coast into the first corner and just not aggressive enough... 

My race speed is Expert but my holeshot skills are Pro and I'll probably do 70% of my starts in the top position...But as some have mentioned, 2-4hr long races make for a lot of time to make passes. But I find it easier to go backwards then forward... 

• Like 2

If you have to kick start, then no, you will very likely release the devise trying to start it.  Maybe if you have a push button start?  First bump should release the holeshot devise. So it would only give you at best a few yards of benefits?  Look at pictures of the top GNCC riders bikes, I didn't notice any, but I could be missing it though.

2 hours ago, crypto666 said:

No, not really.  Riding beyond your abilities because you are trying to stay ahead of people faster than you will burn more energy than it takes to pass someone.  Especially since most riders are smart enough to move to the side.  

If someone is taking a mx bike to a harescramble, they are not concerned about staying ahead or passing anyone.  

I watched a 105sx smoke a whole field of 250s for the hole shot a few weeks ago.  

Some tight east coast hare scrambles may not have a "side" to move to for the first couple miles. There are some riders that enter a hare scramble to get in a 2 hour trail ride. I can respect them for that. However, others are there to race and want to make sure they don't get stuck behind the trail rider. If a holeshot device gives an advantage, use it.

Any harescramble I ever raced in was a dead engine start. My efforts were to get the hole shot with a quick engine start. The E- button isn't the quickest either!

• Like 1