2017 kx 100

Just bought my wife a new kx 100 and I can't get the thing to idle very good.im thinking the stock pilot jet might be to small, sea level ,50 degree weather, pump premium 32:1 dumonde Tech dtp pre mix.i haven't even opened the carb up,the plug looks fine runs strong,no lean bog off idle but it won't idle for more than 15sec.if I adjust the idle up a little it hangs high for a second then drops down really low and dies anything past that point it just idles high.i tried adjusting the air screw out to 2 turns it didn't make a difference.so how many of u think they come lean on the slow jet for sea level? I run a 48pilot in her old yz85,this is my first kawasaki.i know how to jet,just kicken around what others think,not much on the newer 100s on the interwebs.also the bike only has around 1hr run time, i checked for air leaks. I've been able to adjust all my yz from brand new no problem. Thank u for your help.20170406_173023.jpg

In principal, sea level settings should be a tad lean in 50°F ambiant temps.

I would first check the carburetor float/fuel level before fine-tuning the pilot jet.

My YZ125 was set too high straight off the showroom floor, the engine idled ok

but ran rich on the bottom end and, dumped out fuel from the overflow vent lines the instant it was tipped over even slightly.

Even corrected, that engine has always ran better with a 1-2 size smaller pilot jet than stock.

Also, not knowing your wife's style of riding/skill level,  if she's been taking it slow for that first hour,

the crankcase & exhaust might be loaded up with excessive premix.

Edited by mlatour

In principal, sea level settings should be a tad lean in 50°F ambiant temps.

I would first check the carburetor float/fuel level before fine-tuning the pilot jet.

My YZ125 was set too high straight off the showroom floor, the engine idled ok
but ran rich on the bottom end and, dumped out fuel from the overflow vent lines the instant it was tipped over even slightly.
Even corrected, that engine has always ran better with a 1-2 size smaller pilot jet than stock.

Also, not knowing your wife's style of riding/skill level,  if she's been taking it slow for that first hour,
the crankcase & exhaust might be loaded up with excessive premix.

OK thanks,I'll check the float height, I broke the motor in so I know it's not loaded up.she didn't want to hurt it breaking it in.thanks again.

Well the float was way out of speck and I threw in a 48 pilot just to see what happens and all is well idling nice and low, falls to an idle fast,a little fat with the 48 about 2.5 turns to highest idle on the air screw so I'm gonna drop it to a 45.kind of weird they come with a 38p.

• Like 1