Universal Tail Light Mounting

I dislike my DRC Edge, and much prefer this style of light, tucked up high to the rear fender. TST makes a good one for a ridiculous $115. 

Has anyone a good solution for mounting these generic universal lights? They screw in horizinally at 90°, unlike the DRC, which fastens straight down. I'm thinking two L brackets could do the trick, but what do you think?

s-l1600.jpg.f65c2297d7a922c0a44e92ef378c862d.jpgSuzuki-Detailed-Taillight-System-DRZ400-4.jpg.af60b82b715f62e15b5fd1aec9321270.jpg

You're right that is a lot of money for that much plastic. I dont understand this comment "They screw in horizinally at 90°, unlike the DRC, which fastens straight down." I have the TT DRC kit on my DRZ400S and the DRC is screwed in horizontal to the bracket. If you want to mount your light up higher why not drill new holes in the DRC bracket? The angle in that picture is not accurate. If you are looking at the light it still has the gap and is much wider than the DRC light. 1431452009365.jpg

10 hours ago, tjamscad said:

You're right that is a lot of money for that much plastic. I dont understand this comment "They screw in horizinally at 90°, unlike the DRC, which fastens straight down." I have the TT DRC kit on my DRZ400S and the DRC is screwed in horizontal to the bracket. If you want to mount your light up higher why not drill new holes in the DRC bracket? The angle in that picture is not accurate. If you are looking at the light it still has the gap and is much wider than the DRC light. 

By "They screw in horizinally at 90°, unlike the DRC, which fastens straight down." I meant that the two bolts affixing the DRC Edge to the subframe screw in vertically, threads pointing toward the ground, head to the sky. The fasteners on these generic ones are parallel to the ground, threads pointed toward the front of the bike. So, a 90° difference from the DRC Edge. The DRZ doesn't have a way to fasten this without making a mount.

CRF230L-Taillight-Install-4.thumb.jpg.cd62be921c6637c94294f225250f1a51.jpg
I already got my DRC Edge tucked up high on the fender. It took 4 or so washers on each bolt to raise it. Not very happy with that solution. A pair of  L brackets like this could possibly fasten the same way as the DRC Edge, and give the generic light a 90° angle to attach to, but I'm trying to figure out something better.

l27924.jpg.baf17a69eb1af1c8df62065c864f00c4.jpg

Edited by HansLanda

Some versions of the edge light mounting plates tuck the light up under the fender better.  The version that mounts the US size plates does not tuck the light quite as well.  On mine I just filed the holes and elongated the mounting plate holes to allow the light to sit a bit higher up (and tuck under the fender better).  

7 minutes ago, sbmon said:

Some versions of the edge light mounting plates tuck the light up under the fender better.  The version that mounts the US size plates does not tuck the light quite as well.  On mine I just filed the holes and elongated the mounting plate holes to allow the light to sit a bit higher up (and tuck under the fender better).  

The main issue is not how the Edge is not high enough on the fender. I fixed that problem already and I'm still not happy with it. The shape of the light in general is ugly to me.

I just mentioned the light/fender gap because I definitely would like the generic light to be secured up as high as possible to the fender.

I'm running the yoshimura fender eliminator. It sits near flush to the fender, but sticks out a small bit at the corners. It looks near identical to that TST and can be found for less than $100.

Also, it's kind of grown on me now. But the LEDs that light the license plate also make the light lens glow blue-ish, kind of like blue outline around the red LEDs.

28 minutes ago, thnksno said:

I'm running the yoshimura fender eliminator. It sits near flush to the fender, but sticks out a small bit at the corners. It looks near identical to that TST and can be found for less than $100.

Also, it's kind of grown on me now. But the LEDs that light the license plate also make the light lens glow blue-ish, kind of like blue outline around the red LEDs.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do like that light a lot but the price is pretty steep, and I break these things a lot. I've cracked 2 plates and bent the Edge a few times, so it's pretty soft metal now. I'm going to put my plate in the right behind the airbox so I need only a light at the back of the fender. I'll keep the Edge around for the fix-it tickets.