XR650L Jetting

I put on a new, Big Gun exhaust pipe, it was back firing and poping pretty good, I pulled the carb to see what size main jet is in there, to my surprise I had a 142 main jet. In my manual it calls out for a 150 main at or above 6500 ft. Do you think i will need to change the pilot jet? Does this sound right?

Edited by dlee

Anyone??? I guess if I don't hear from anyone I will start with 155 main, 52 pilot, at 5500 feet, I guess I will do Dave's mods as well

One reason you might not get instant answers on this is because we seem to answer this one about three times a week.  Have you looked through other discussions on jetting for the past month or two?

You might be on the rich side with a 155, but that's what I would put in there if it were me.  Mine runs great up to 6000 feet with a 158.  But with a high compression piston the jetting needs to be a bit richer.  If your bike seems a bit rich when you go up to higher altitudes, then you can switch to a 152.

4 hours ago, ScottRNelson said:

One reason you might not get instant answers on this is because we seem to answer this one about three times a week.  Have you looked through other discussions on jetting for the past month or two?

You might be on the rich side with a 155, but that's what I would put in there if it were me.  Mine runs great up to 6000 feet with a 158.  But with a high compression piston the jetting needs to be a bit richer.  If your bike seems a bit rich when you go up to higher altitudes, then you can switch to a 152.

Jetting DOES NOT need to be richer with higher compression. Increasing compression will make a motor run richer with no other changes.

53 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Jetting DOES NOT need to be richer with higher compression. Increasing compression will make a motor run richer with no other changes.

I do it to help reduce the chances of it overheating and from having detonation issues.  Otherwise it would probably be slightly better with a 155 in there and I'm sure it would get closer to 50 mpg rather than the 40-45 it gets now.

1 minute ago, JoeRC51 said:

I've always gotten around 36 MPG since new.

The mileage on mine went up with the high compression piston.  I was in the 30s before that too.  Other than being a bit tougher on the starter motor, I don't see any other downsides to higher compression, but I have more power everywhere. 

• Like 1