Sign in to follow this  

400e stock exhaust query

Howzit,

My bike’s exhaust is super loud and I’ve recently moved into a quiet neighbourhood so I took the endcap off to see what was going on inside. I’ve attached a few pics – it’s a stock exhaust (sankei 2377), looks like the spark arrestor has been cut off, and has this muffler that is just lying about inside the pipe. Not connected to anything, it just goes through the hole in the middle of the exhaust and has two solid caps welded in where I marked in yellow. It’s literally just rolling around in there.

So I was wondering…

·         Is the insert normal? Should I try to get it to sit in the pipe and terminate into the endcap?

·         Is there a way to quieten the bike cheaply and easily? Attach something over the inside of the endcap or something?

I have no mechanical experience at all so apologies if these are stupid questions.

rob

tip.jpg

insert1.jpg

pipe1.jpg

sparkarrestor.jpg

So I did a bit more digging and will try to make a db-killer. Any suggestions on length and number of holes, or anything at all would be much appreciated.

rob

Few TT members are from SA and so none will be able to answer you with 100% accuracy because there are variations from country to country. Being many change out the stock muffler for a louder one becuse they are convinced it will make the bike super fast without doing other mods, I have little doubt you could find a 'like new' S/SM muffler for cheap and that is a lot easier than trying to do it your self.