New 2017 YZ250F price?

Pricing on motorcycles are stupid! I have went to 5 different shops and 4 of them will only tell me MSRP. They say make a offer and we will see if they will take it. It's the only thing that I can ever remember ever buying that they will not tell me what the price actually is. One shop told me $6,999 and the also told me that if I get a better offer that they will beat it. I think I'm going to take $6,000 cash in and tell them take it or I will buy it some where else and see what they say. I'm going to tell them that I'm going 3 other places and the first one to call sells a bike. I'll  give them my number and wait if I have too but I bet they will call. It may work and it may not but not being able to tell me a price is just stupid. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, SonsRexspensive said:

Pricing on motorcycles are stupid! I have went to 5 different shops and 4 of them will only tell me MSRP. They say make a offer and we will see if they will take it. It's the only thing that I can ever remember ever buying that they will not tell me what the price actually is. One shop told me $6,999 and the also told me that if I get a better offer that they will beat it. I think I'm going to take $6,000 cash in and tell them take it or I will buy it some where else and see what they say. I'm going to tell them that I'm going 3 other places and the first one to call sells a bike. I'll  give them my number and wait if I have too but I bet they will call. It may work and it may not but not being able to tell me a price is just stupid. 

$6k cash? You think that will get you a 2017 OTD with taxes and everything? That is laughable at best, you'll be walking right back to your bank to re-deposit that $6k. More than likely cannot even get a left over 16' for $6k OTD.

FYI- $7249 OTD is what I paid for one,cash. The old saying cash talks doesnt even hold true when it comes to these machines because if you won't buy it, the next guy will and will/can finance it. I got a $500 blu cru credit, that you have to apply for and comes in the form of a gift card. So technically $6749 is what I paid, I got the dealer to throw in a self lifting stand, helmet, gloves, oil and filter for first change.

Agreed with rexisme, making cash deals isn't what it used to be 

With easy finance, the dealers simply wait for the next 'got to have it now no matter the price'' guy that qualifies for credit to walk in the door.

Edited by mlatour

you'll never know until you plop some cash down in front of them. they don't like giving shopping numbers to people on the phone.  if they tell you msrp they are likely not going to charge you freight/setup, etc.   if you get a current year new one for around MSRP OTD you are getting it for about invoice and at a screaming deal.  unless its a leftover or a blem.   most dealers are getting slapped for abusing the blue cru card and that may not be offered, depending on the dealer/salesman.

11 hours ago, mlatour said:

Agreed with rexisme, making cash deals isn't what it used to be 

With easy finance, the dealers simply wait for the next 'got to have it now no matter the price'' guy that qualifies for credit to walk in the door.

Yep, they tried showing me that they had someone approved for the bike already and were using his "price" to deal with me. I replied to the guy, "it would take an idiot to pay almost 300 a month for that bike for 3 years, you could get a decent car." To which he replied, "it takes all kinds." I dont know what the guys credit score was, he was approved, however, I could of put the bike on my credit card and got a better interest rate (do the math).

I know some people lie a little bit. Motor cycles and motorcycle parts have such a high mark up its unbelievable. My best friends little brother was a Yamaha sponsored pro hare scramble rider here in Missouri when I was younger. He got his bikes and all his parts for cost and people would be shocked on how much the mark up is. Most parts have a 200-300% mark up, bike's mark up aren't that high but it's still pretty good. Both of my sons cousins got new bikes in 2016 1 was a susuki and 1 Kawasaki both 250f's and the both paid around $5200 for them and the Kawasaki MSRP's for more than the Yamaha does. I put in a low ball offer on a Yamaha 700 grizzly a few years ago and the sales guy laughed at me. I told him if he didn't want to sell it somebody else would and he laughed and said not for that price. I gave him my name and number and walked out and about 3-4 days later he called me and said if I still wanted it to come get it and I did. So it don't hurt to low ball them first. 

most of the guys i know working in bike shops are not living extravagant lifestyles, i know owners that struggle to move units and some even one bad season away from closing down, there is NOT a lot of profit built into dirtbikes. shops make their money on service and parts.  in the last 10-15 years i've seen more moto shops close than i'm comfortable with, it's not a good direction to be going in, the more we nickel and dime the smaller more desperate shops, the less they make and before too long they'll be out of business.  i don't even have a shop within 20 miles anymore, 7-8 years ago i had 2.  i happily pay my friends in the bike business a little bit of profit.

Edited by DRS

27 minutes ago, SonsRexspensive said:

I don't feal bad for them, Yamaha , KTM and all the others seem to be doing pretty well. It's just like any other business if they didn't pay all the pros so much they wouldn't have to rob the public. The CEO's seem to be doing pretty well.

i'm not talking about manufacturers, i'm talking about motorcycle shops in your home town.

The manufactures are screwing the dealers (greed) a third of the price of a motorcycle is because of sponsorships and pro riders. Then when it gets to the dealers it gets marked up even more for us. We all could afford to buy more bikes if they where a third cheaper. Then we buy a bike from a dealer and he wants to make 200-300% mark up on all the parts we buy for it. So I just have a hard time feeling sorry for them. Shops are going out of business because of online dealers. Local shops just can't sell there ridiculously marked up parts anymore. You can go online and have it shipped to your house for half the price.