Louisiana Flood and Submerged Bikes

I'm sharing my sad story with you guys as therapy.  I had a KX450F and KX250 that both went underwater during the August flood in Louisiana.  I haven't even had time to touch them until today, since I've been busy rebuilding my house. I have no idea if they can be saved at this point, or if I'd be better off selling them for parts. I got about 4ft of water in my house, and I could have saved my bikes by loading them in the back of my truck. To make matters worse, I just spent a lot of money rebuilding both bikes. 

I know there are other guys out there with similar stories from the August flood.  Any advice is appreciated. 

IMG_20160815_080640.jpg

It can be saved,drain everything. Even though no doubt water got in there's still oil in the system. Pull plug and spray alot of penetrate oil in, Fill case with cheap oil and crank over many times, drain and start over a few times it'll be good. Sorry man that sucks!

• Like 1

Depending on the value of bike before the flood, you might get more by parting it out on eBay.

Have they been submerged all this time? If so, damage might be minimal. If the water has been gone and the bikes just sitting, they are in for a world of hurt. Whether you part out or repair, you have to tear down, so I'd start with that .

• Like 1

Doesn't HOI cover this? It was in his Garage/House then insurance should cover it. Get paid and then get new bikes! 

• Like 1

I don't believe HOI covers bikes, I think you need a separate policy.  I emailed my agent just to be sure. I'll let you know what she says. 

I actually got a quad (Honda Rancher) that was in some sort of flood 100% disassembled. A rolling chassis and 6 rubbermaids. We did everything to it. It has been dead nuts reliable.

It varies.  I am more scared when they have been flooded and then left.   Lots to change out.  

7 hours ago, randd0 said:

I'm sharing my sad story with you guys as therapy.  I had a KX450F and KX250 that both went underwater during the August flood in Louisiana.  I haven't even had time to touch them until today, since I've been busy rebuilding my house. I have no idea if they can be saved at this point, or if I'd be better off selling them for parts. I got about 4ft of water in my house, and I could have saved my bikes by loading them in the back of my truck. To make matters worse, I just spent a lot of money rebuilding both bikes. 

I know there are other guys out there with similar stories from the August flood.  Any advice is appreciated. 

IMG_20160815_080640.jpg

What year 250? Would you consider selling it? I live in Baton Rouge.

No kidding on buying them if I was closer to them, they would be riding in a day and $100 worth of oil flushing!