Frame damage

Tearing down an 08 that I recently bought. Kid crashed it so hard, the front hub was completely shattered. 

I just uncovered a place in the frame that has a gash in it behind the radiator. It's about 3 inches long and 1/8 inch deep. There's no crack in it. 

Do I need to be concerned about this or am I good to keep rocking along? 

IMG_3012.JPG

thats a very strange place for that to occur, what the hell did the guy hit?    I personally would take that to get welded up.

That is a strange place for such a gouge!

What is the end use of the bike?  MX tracking or recreation?

If putting it back on the MX track, you will want to tear it completely down to bare frame (completely down, not a bolt left).  Start by measuring for a bent out of aligned frame.  Then LPI the entire frame for cracks.  Correct the alignment, grind out cracks and re-weld.  May be better off to just start shopping for a frame now.   The issue isn't the gouge itself and whether it is bad or not (it isn't).  The concern is the intensity of the event to have put a gouge at that location - other parts of the bike had to have been put through a blender.  The gouge may be distracting you away from other more serious issues.

If going to be a casual recreation bike, fix the other busted stuff, essentials only, polish it up nice and pretty, go riding.  If it drives funny or sidetracks, just name the bike Gimpy, put a name sticker on it, call it an experienced character, and keep on turning and burning.

Edited by FaceDeAce

I'm looking to ride MX with it. That being said I'm a beginner and getting my feet wet. I'm breaking it all the way down to the bare frame. Motor sounds pretty good. I can't really tell if the gouge is from a wreck or an error in his mechanical skills. The fork caps were chewed up too. That'll be insteresting opening those up. 

Do you have any tutorials or videos on how to inspect a frame? I don't really know what an LDI is. 

You may want to start looking for a donor rolling chasis - a parts bike.  You can then take the good of the two and put together a single decent bike.

The gouge may be from a major crash side planting the essentially crushed the radiator into the frame.  Sort of lines up at that point.  All the more concerning of a bent frame then.

A crash course on LPI ...  

Edited by FaceDeAce

The subframe was bent when I got that off tonight. Looking at the chassis though, it doesn't seem bent. Is there any way to get the dimensions and measure it or do I just go by the naked eye? 

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

Pick a reference point that you will check/measure from.  Single point.   I suggest making a good Jiffy marker dot in the centre of the bottom crossbar at the back.  Center top back corner of that bar between the the sway arm brackets.  Make similar reference dots at mirrored points alone the left side and the right side upper and lower frames.

Then using a simple stiff string or small wire (guitar string) measure and triangulate those points on the frame from that point, comparing left side to right side distance from that point on the crossbar to the frame point on the left to the frame point on the right.  

Also check the steering post and front spine for twist.  Put a bullet level across that bar at the back bottom, sway bar brackets. Shim the frame on the stand to get that bar level left-right.  Then drop a string with a heavy nut on the end (plumb bob) at the steering post. If you can find a chunk of pvc pipe that fits snugly through the post that is long enough, will give you a really good read/eyaball on if it is twisted to left or right.

Hope that helps with some ideas!

Edited by FaceDeAce

Thanks for the help! I'll measure it out to make sure it's good to go. The subframe is bent to all hell. Here's a better look at that gouge. 

IMG_3031.JPG

Top of your thread mentions the front tire blasted to bits.  Perhaps this mark is where the rim contacted the frame ...

Decisions visions on the horizon.  Examples: a) Part the bike out on eBay and Craigs, and go buy another bike?  b) Buy frames of eBay, Craigs? c) Look for another parts bike and use the two to make one good one.  e) Get out the torches, snipes, hyd jacks, blocks, and get to work straightening.  d) Part out the bike, go fishing.   ;)  

Edited by FaceDeAce