'05 Crank replacement - Sideways movement

Hello All

This is my first post. I am very much into my bikes but not on a racing level or anything. Lots of practice days... random outings in the woods... Weekend warrior type stuff :ride:.

feel free to skip to the very last sentance for my actual question as to some of you guys the in between bits might just be waffle. Also, i have searched for an answer to this with some limited result.

So... the big end bearing went while i was doing a poxy rolling burnout, or it was already well gone but this is what finished it off. I have already replaced the crank with one that has a new Conrod and all the trimmings (big end bearing).

Going back in time now, when i was stripping the engine i did the clutch side first including the primary gear and whatnot, then when going around to the flyweel side i pulled on the flywheel and was stunned when the entire crank shifted. There is no up or down / wobble movement in the crank but it very easily shifts side to side by about half an inch, now i dont know if this was the case BEFORE removing the primary gear and all that stuff but i am baffled.

As it stands, i have the new crank in and the crankcases closed back up and bolted shut with nothing else installed, just crank and crankcases... it still shifts side to side, another note is that it literally just falls into the bearing, as in there was no need to pull it into the bearing, heat up the case, freeze the bearing.. nothing... new crank came, i pretty much chucked it at the right case and it slid rite in to its seat. nice and snug... but slips in easy.

To me this is very unusual, cranks normally need to be set into the bearing in one way or another so my question is: Is it normal for the crank in these bikes to have sideways play WHEN the primary gear is off of the motor?

Thanks guys.

when you tighten the primary gear the sideways play should tighten up...note: I had to make a shim on my sons 04 when I put in a new crank because when I tightened it up it contacted the case and wouldn't spin freely

Thank you! im so glad its not completely F'd. i had shown my local mx shop a video of the crank moving and they were a bit lost too, probably an act to get some money out of me :p