Sprockets???

Ok new to this monster machine lol. I got a 16 model crf250l and got a 13 tooth sprocket ordered. After I get it in Thursday and install it I might get a 42 rear sprocket. My (2) questions are can I still use the white plastic chain guide or does it have to be removed due to sprocket hitting it? Also with the 13/42 combo can I still use the stock chain ( length).? IMG_3192.JPG

Yes you can use the stock parts on both accounts. I am running 13/43 with stock chain and guide.

With a 43 I did have to flip over the black plastic block at the bottom of the guide (the bolt holes are offset in the piece) to give the rear sprocket/chain clearance but you won't have to with a 42.

Edited by torbo
  • Like 2

Yes you can use the stock parts on both accounts. I am running 13/43 with stock chain and guide.
With a 43 I did have to flip over the black plastic block at the bottom of the guide (the bolt holes are offset in the piece) to give the rear sprocket/chain clearance but you won't have to with a 42.

Great info thanks

On 4/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, Ridem32 said:

Great info thanks

I've just switched my rear out to a 42T....already had a 13T on the front, and with the engine in stock trim (ie no mods/exhaust/etc.) this ratio (13/42) is about as good as it gets for combined highway/fire road/light trail riding IMO. Maybe the addition of tyres with a smaller aspect also?

No appreciable loss in top end speed, 6th gear now makes sense...

if you decide to go with the 42T rear, it helps if you unbolt the chain guide when dropping the wheel/swapping the sprocket.

enjoy :ride: 

• Like 1

I just did the 13 sprocket and it helped lots. May go with the 42 after I do my clutch kit.