Sheared bolt removal

Sheared a bolt of my dirt bike today.  I used to have a cheap-o tool that spun it out that didn't work well - can't find it now, so now I need to buy a new tool.  Is there a brand that somebody swears by?  I'd much rather extract it than drill it out and re-tap it.

If you have a welder tack a nut onto the broken off bolt and take it out like its a regular bolt. This is way quicker and easier than trying to drill it or use a easy out.

No welder.  My neighbor had an easy-out set that he let me borrow.  No brand, but looks much better than what I had owned in the past (now that I really think of it, it was a craftsman brand).  I'll give it a literal whirl tomorrow and see how it goes

Edited by SteveKing84

Post a pic

3 hours ago, SteveKing84 said:

Sheared a bolt of my dirt bike today.  I used to have a cheap-o tool that spun it out that didn't work well - can't find it now, so now I need to buy a new tool.  Is there a brand that somebody swears by?  I'd much rather extract it than drill it out and re-tap it.

Post a pic

Sorry don't have a pic.  I ended up borrowing an easy-out kit from my buddy, it was Hanson brand (or similar name).  I ended up shearing the damn easy-out in the bolt!  Now it's damn near impossible to drill out, I think I'll buy some high tensile wire and hang the exhaust now.

Well, I think I'm kind screwed now.  The EZ out is much harder than the screw, and the aluminum frame is softer than the screw.  Its the single bolt that holds the exhaust.  All I can think is to wire it in place now.  Any other thoughts?  I can prolly get a picture if necessary.  I wish I could get it out somehow

Hi,

I wonder if you used a smaller easy-out than the recommended. Believe it or not, you can drill through easy outs, or at least I was able to drill through one once. 

Good luck,

Willy

There's no way you are drilling through a quality easy out so don't waste your time.  Take a picture maybe I can help.  If not maybe you could take the bike to a machinist, they might be able to fix it.  Although when you break an easy out off it's usually game over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveKing84 said:

08 honda crf450x

If I'm not mistaken I think you could easily take off the sub frame and drill it out from the back.

Then either re-tap or just drill a clean hole and use a nut and bolt or there might be enough of the bolt sticking through to put on some vise grips and screw it back out and if there is soak for 24hrs with PB Blaster first.

I'm working on my 2005 CRF250R and is it the same bolt with the arrow on your bike?

58f044b6beec4_20170413_2035441.jpg.e29be7a2123390940bbff7e7c8130e5f.jpg

Edited by filterx

If you can get to the back side and drill that way til it hits extractor then use a punch to knock it out

17 hours ago, filterx said:

If I'm not mistaken I think you could easily take off the sub frame and drill it out from the back.

Then either re-tap or just drill a clean hole and use a nut and bolt or there might be enough of the bolt sticking through to put on some vise grips and screw it back out and if there is soak for 24hrs with PB Blaster first.

I'm working on my 2005 CRF250R and is it the same bolt with the arrow on your bike?

58f044b6beec4_20170413_2035441.jpg.e29be7a2123390940bbff7e7c8130e5f.jpg

Hmmm, yes, perhaps I can do it this way

• Like 1