Beta Steering lock cover install

Steering Lock Removal:

Using a chisel and hammer carefully pry the head of the rivet out enough to get a pair of pliers on it, then unscrew it. Put the key in, turn it and pull the whole assembly out.

The key is not to cut the head off the rivet but just to get it to stick out enough to grip it with pliers, a few taps was all that was needed on mine. Doing it this way it can still be reused if you ever decide to sell. Hope this helps. I can't take credit for it a guy on another forum helped me out but this worked like a charm for me. 

Don't waste your money on that custom plug (like I did.)  Once it's in your hand and you've removed the lock it's obvious that it's a round plug intended for a keyhole-shaped hole.  In the photo above you can see the silicone sealant used to plug the remainder of the hole, which is almost as big as the round portion.

Easiest solution is to leave the lock in place and pop a 7/8" chair leg tip over it.  You pick up a pack of 4 at Home Depot, Lowes, or Amazon for $5 or $6.  Put one on your bike and share the rest with your Beta Buddies.

20161112.jpg

12 hours ago, Knotcher said:

Why remove it at all?

The steering lock is a simple unsealed lock that fits into an unsealed opening into the steering head.  Any water that gets through it or around it will sit on top of the lower steering head bearing. 

• Like 3

BoogieMan - thank you.  Worked like a charm.

Why would you take this out?  See the photo.  This bike is a 2017 with 7hrs, two washes in the driveway and one rain filled day of riding.

IMG_8825 copy.jpeg

• Like 2

You can use the cap that is used on refilled oxygen/acetylene bottles, which happens to come in Beta Red ;).

Steerlockcap_zps28e56387.jpg

• Like 1