EC 250 acceleration and other problems

Hello, so I'm really new to two strokes and I've been scratching my head for a while about the top end lacking in power, It's ride able I just expected there to be more...

But all of a sudden today the bike starts surging like mad under load (45mph-70+) coughing and spluttering. The headlight also starts dying until I let off, and the Speedo jumps around like crazy, any ideas?

I did have the usual power-valve rattle and need to open her up again but this doesn't seem like its related.

And I thought two strokes were supposed to be simple  :rolleyes:

Any advice appreciated, Cheers!

-Ash

What year / model bike? Possible stator problem maybe? How is the spark? Nice and strong? Also maybe check your carb, if the bike has sat for any length of time it's possible for the jets to get clogged and make the bike run poorly. If you do find poor or intermittent spark disconnect the kill switch first and then try again ( don't ask me how I know!).  Start with the basics first air, spark and fuel. Good luck.

Sounds like an electrical issue. Like katoom64 said start with the simple (cheap) things first like disconnecting the kill switch. U could start D to add some more detail if possible. Has it ever run correctly? If so what has changed? Has it been dropped recently n it started after? How long has it been sitting? Could be carb issues too like clogged jets (easy fix). Supply as much info as ur able..

Thanks for the advice guys, After tinkering for a few hours I found absolutely f-all. And then on the ride home in the dark what do I see by my boot?

IMG_20170412_231320.jpg