CR85 shock for CRF230

Jump starting an old thread. Seeing folks have been asking me so many times how to do the conversion; thought i'd jump start the thread. Seeing some don't want to pay the price for a Fox shock or the Hagon shock. Here's the best solution if time is no concern and one feel up to doing the mods. Having used both, the Hlebo and the CR85 on my CRF230...I prefer the CR85 shock. The Helbo is good but CR85 shock is better! The CR85 shock may be as good as the Fox. Its really a huge improvement over the stock shock modification. Follow the attached threads below to see what's needed for CR85 shock installation. photo 3.JPG

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 1

This sounds good as they are cheap to buy.Then revalve and buy spring. How many mods to install on a 230 is the big question. While I have found out the 86/95 Xr250r shock works perfect almost bolt on. Now very difficult to find as Im looking for a spare now.

1 hour ago, bajatrailrider said:

This sounds good as they are cheap to buy.Then revalve and buy spring. How many mods to install on a 230 is the big question. While I have found out the 86/95 Xr250r shock works perfect almost bolt on. Now very difficult to find as Im looking for a spare now.

I didn't need to revalve mine, seeing i only weigh a 150lbs wet. The mods are easy if you have the right tools. About the only risky thing is knowning you need to use a good respirator for grinding the aluminum parts of the shock. If you follow the old post, all the information is there. The easy way to modify the air box would be, not to remove it. But the safest way to mod the air box is to remove it from the bike. If you choose to mod the air box while it remain on the bike; drain the float bowl, remove the gas tank, and seat. 

1. heat the air box outer shell with a blow torch. 

2. never allow the flame to make contact with the air box outer shell

3. hold torch 8 to 10 inches away from outer shell until you see a glaze. Glazing signal readiness for pressing out on the air box.

4. use circular motion of the torch to the shell where the air box need expansion. Do your expansion in stages so as not to over large it.

5. use a heavy table spoon to press shell outward at the desired heated area. Allow it to cool and shrink, and reheat where necessary.

Edited by The Plvis

7 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Links??

I'm having a hard time inserting the links. That being the case maybe you could insert the links once i tell you how to find them. For the air box modification google search CRF230 Relocation, Anyone? For CR85 shock on Crf230...google search CR85 Shock Install on CRF 150f

Ok so your saying I think you have a working cr85 shock on 230. What spring rate on back? Mods to stock air box,but still with stock air cleaner? Battery in Air box,or behind Lt side number plate.How long is shock over all?

Thank you Vortec So info only on 150f. Means little if no one has on 230F. We all know almost anything can be made to work,Time, money results. I think still best If Cheap way out, If you can find 86/95Xr250R shock for all riders up to 200 pounds. Heavy Riders or jumps.racers XR250L also works great. Many hours testing just now hard to get.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

Thank you Vortec So info only on 150f. Means little if no one has on 230F. We all know almost anything can be made to work,Time, money results. I think still best If Cheap way out, If you can find 86/95Xr250R shock for all riders up to 200 pounds. Heavy Riders or jumps.racers XR250L also works great. Many hours testing just now hard to get.

Yes!  Sorry about that but I felt some of the other data may be interesting.

2 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

Ok so your saying I think you have a working cr85 shock on 230. What spring rate on back? Mods to stock air box,but still with stock air cleaner? Battery in Air box,or behind Lt side number plate.How long is shock over all?

The cr85 shock has a 40mm piston.  Honda was using this size pretty extensively in the 80's.  Springs should be fairly easy to source.  I bet the xr200 spring from the 86-90 years would fit and is pretty stiff.

46 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

How many hours of work are required?  Hagon takes about 5-10 minutes so your time must be factored into the cost.

The hardest part of the modification for me was the Air Box..took about an hour. The CR85 shock clevis doesn't need to be tapped/drilled for our 230f. So you can skip the drilling step. I'm using a BBR spring, which took about 20 minutes to mount. Took about 5 minutes to set the sag. Took about 45 minutes to carve the U-shape in the clevis. So I'd say 2 hours of work. I got the Fox shock with-out paying the cost. I'd like to think i was the winner :cool:

• Like 3

Shock valving is designed around the spring rate and linkage ratios which can create problems when swapping shocks from other bikes, a case on point is XR linkage is above the swing arm and the ratios are about twice that of other bikes, the spring rates are also about twice.  e.g. my XR has a 10kg spring, late XR250R 11kg,  and my CRF250X has a 4.8kg spring.  I suggest a candidate shock should use a spring of similar rate to the bike's spring rate. 

I don't have a lot of BBR seat time but the CR80/85 shocks seem to work good, even with a stretched swing arm to suit an 18" rear wheel.

I tried looking up the 230F spring rates on RaceTech's website but they no longer display stock spring rates. From the limited data that I have the XRs seem to have the unusual shocks and springs, probably also applies to the "L" variants. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

Shock valving is designed around the spring rate and linkage ratios which can create problems when swapping shocks from other bikes, a case on point is XR linkage is above the swing arm and the ratios are about twice that of other bikes, the spring rates are also about twice.  e.g. my XR has a 10kg spring, late XR250R 11kg,  and my CRF250X has a 4.8kg spring.  I suggest a candidate shock should use a spring of similar rate to the bike's spring rate. 

I don't have a lot of BBR seat time but the CR80/85 shocks seem to work good, even with a stretched swing arm to suit an 18" rear wheel.

I tried looking up the 230F spring rates on RaceTech's website but they no longer display stock spring rates. From the limited data that I have the XRs seem to have the unusual shocks and springs, probably also applies to the "L" variants. 

Chuck knows to much. When I looked at our 87 XR250,Looking at rear shock swing arm , linkage. Just like Chuck says different linkage, mounting position shock . I said to myself this will never work. So I had another 87 Xr250R shock spare in Garage. Installed it tested by all riders . By pure luck works perfect.  I think stock spring rate 230 shock 480. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

Chuck knows to much. When I looked at our 87 XR250,Looking at rear shock swing arm , linkage. Just like Chuck says different linkage, mounting position shock . I said to myself this will never work. So I had another 87 Xr250R shock spare in Garage. Installed it tested by all riders . By pure luck works perfect.  I think stock spring rate 230 shock 480. 

According to data on CRFsOnly website:  https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27_63/products_id/426

"30% stiffer than stock at 12.5kg (stock is 9.0kg)"

9.0 kg/mm = 504 lb/in

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

23 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

According to data on CRFsOnly website:

9.0 kg/mm = 504 lb/in

The info I didn't know.

So if a 230 spring is 9.0 kg then it is very close to XR springs, on the XR200/250s they range from 9kg to just over 11kg.  That opens more options to improve 230 shocks. The good XR200/250 reservoir shocks measure 13 1/2 to 15 1/8" center to center, and the 96-04 require a larger size spring. What is the length of a stock 230F shock?

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Something to keep in mind for sure.  Anther good thing about the 40mm cr85 shock is that racetech gold valve and shim kits are easy to get, and open up tuning options.

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

What is the length of a stock 230F shock?

My '04 is 15 3/16" center to center.  The XR250R shock I'm installing is 15 1/8".  The 230 spring is longer but has a smaller diameter so the actual spring wire may be about the same length.  Still plenty of clearance for an mt43.  I sold my cr85 shock to a guy who was building a cr85 supermoto.

3 hours ago, VortecCPI said:

According to data on CRFsOnly website:

9.0 kg/mm = 504 lb/in

You Guys know a S-load more than I do. I did my conversions the poor boy's way. You guys can take the shock to next level, seeing there are after market parts ready and available. What i can see now is, we will all need different set ups to make it work best...but that's an option you can't get from Fox or Hagon off the shelf. It may be possible to tune our bikes far beyond what we ever imagine we could. Maybe Bruce-T will be our go to guy for fine tuning? Exciting times!  

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 1