From ktm to Yamaha

I thought I saw a post about this before. But i can't seem to find it on my phone

Has anyone converted from ktm to the yz250x?

I have a 2014 300xc that I just rebuilt but I came off a 2014 yz250 that I am regretting getting rid of. I'm planning on racing xc this summer and I seem to have felt more comfortable on the Yamaha.

I'm looking for feedback from someone who has ridden the 250x if possible. Am I loosing too much goin back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbde17 said:

I thought I saw a post about this before. But i can't seem to find it on my phone

Has anyone converted from ktm to the yz250x?

I have a 2014 300xc that I just rebuilt but I came off a 2014 yz250 that I am regretting getting rid of. I'm planning on racing xc this summer and I seem to have felt more comfortable on the Yamaha.

I'm looking for feedback from someone who has ridden the 250x if possible. Am I loosing too much goin back?

Likely it's the suspension you miss.  I think the 14's have the dreaded 4cs and your yammie had the dreamy SSS.

The xc has the extra 50cc, light capable, ability to throw on a fan, has a slightly larger tank, sucky forks that can be fixed for 1k or so I'm told, and ok shock that has links that need a guard.  The motor is super reliable and lasts FOREVER.  The estart isnt anywhere near as reliable and will likely cost you time and money.

The X you need a big tank (ty davis is the deal) and MAYBE some gearing changes depending on what you do (actually same for the ktm).  Depending on what kind of power you want the x may be ok or get the head worked on for 100 clams or less and your cooking.  Some leave the suspension valving the same, they like it so much they are afraid to touch it.  Others say it can be better.  You wont need a guard on the linkage like you do on ktms so that saves you good coin.

I have an 06 yz and find the motor more fun then my ktm, but the delivery of the ktm is better over time.  I have the W ktm with open chamber stuff and a fox shock.  It works REALLY well but the yam forks just make you smile.  For ME the ktm gets the nod over the yam for the low first gear and battery to run a fan and lights.  Other than that it's yam all day long.

GO on the yam forum and ktm forum.  Pay little attention to the guys who bleed this color or that and look for patterns of what your looking for in a bike.  I'm like you, yams fit me like a glove.  They sit lower too.

Edit:  Brakes are better on KTM for sure.  Yams actually modulate better overall but for pure power the ktm's kick arse.  You can do things on a bike with amazing brakes you just cant do with the other stuff.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Sycamore said:

Likely it's the suspension you miss.  I think the 14's have the dreaded 4cs and your yammie had the dreamy SSS.

The xc has the extra 50cc, light capable, ability to throw on a fan, has a slightly larger tank, sucky forks that can be fixed for 1k or so I'm told, and ok shock that has links that need a guard.  The motor is super reliable and lasts FOREVER.  The estart isnt anywhere near as reliable and will likely cost you time and money.

The X you need a big tank (ty davis is the deal) and MAYBE some gearing changes depending on what you do (actually same for the ktm).  Depending on what kind of power you want the x may be ok or get the head worked on for 100 clams or less and your cooking.  Some leave the suspension valving the same, they like it so much they are afraid to touch it.  Others say it can be better.  You wont need a guard on the linkage like you do on ktms so that saves you good coin.

I have an 06 yz and find the motor more fun then my ktm, but the delivery of the ktm is better over time.  I have the W ktm with open chamber stuff and a fox shock.  It works REALLY well but the yam forks just make you smile.  For ME the ktm gets the nod over the yam for the low first gear and battery to run a fan and lights.  Other than that it's yam all day long.

GO on the yam forum and ktm forum.  Pay little attention to the guys who bleed this color or that and look for patterns of what your looking for in a bike.  I'm like you, yams fit me like a glove.  They sit lower too.

Edit:  Brakes are better on KTM for sure.  Yams actually modulate better overall but for pure power the ktm's kick arse.  You can do things on a bike with amazing brakes you just cant do with the other stuff.

Even though I haven't owned a KTM . I am usually the only Blue Bike in a Sea of Orange with my friends . I can agree with most everything said by Sycamore . I will add that when I put the Over-sized Rotor on Both the YZX and our 2011 it was a NICE addition . 

• Like 1

I am a current KTM owner (mint 2005 200EXC) that recently bought a new 2016 YZX. Honestly, both are great bikes with their own little quirks if you will.

My KTM is open chamber front and PDS rear. After throwing some money at it, the suspension is very nice. The best I think I can get WP suspension to be. No complaints. I love the KTM chassis and engine. I feel that mine is bullet proof. Good brakes, good clutch, amazing bottom end torque. I can lug it for days and it never complains. The EXC has lights. After getting the suspension revalved, and getting a good seat, I feel like it is a great bike.

I have only had the YZX a few weeks, but here is my take on it so far: The suspension is great just like it is. The springs are right for my weight. I only had to adjust the sag a little in the shock. I tested some setting on the front/rear compression/rebound but in the end, I am very close to the stock (suggested factory settings in the manual) settings. The engine runs pretty clean and has very little spooge. Now that it is warming up a considerable bit from the first week I owned it, I do think it needs rejetting. Not a big deal. The gearing is fine for me. I was concerned about the gearing placement before I bought it, but after riding it, I don't really think about it much. It has great linear power with good bottom end. In comparison to the KTM, I think eventually I might add a heavier flywheel weight. But that is only for super tight trail and the fact that I am so used to the KTM torque. I cranks first kick almost every time without choke. Oh, and it IS light. It feels lighter than my KTM. This is something I love about this bike. I did pull the forks up in the clamps a lot and this had a positive effect on the steering without affecting the stability. I really like the brakes on the Yamaha. To me, they are every bit as good as the KTM. BUT I don't race. But they really feel nice and responsive. The Yamaha is taller than my KTM but I am getting used to it. Probably gonna have to shave the seat a little.

If I could only have one bike, I would hate to choose between the two. Both bikes are so much fun. Plus (and this is the best part) they are SO DIFFERENT. But I mean that in a good way. That's one of the reasons I bought the YZX, I wanted something different! 

To be honest, I just could bring myself to buy another KTM. I love mine, but it is an older model and I am very familiar with it. I am sold on the build quality of my older bike. I am not so sure about the newest model. I looked at some 2017s and just didn't get that warm and fuzzy over them. Plus, I felt that if I went the KTM route, I would have had to spend considerable money on the suspension before I would be satisfied. If I had gone with KTM, it would have had to have been a NOS 2015 or 2016 200 and I already have one.

Take this info for what it's worth. I'm an old trail rider that loves riding. I don't race, although I'm kinda itching to get back on the track for some fun!

Good luck!

• Like 2

The grass is always greener...

Here is the rundown for myself and three riding buddies who own and ride both.  All of us are A/B riders, and race hare scrambles:

I own two YZ 125s (pre SSS and SSS) and an 09 KTM 250.  For me it's pretty much a wash as far as the chassis.  All my bikes have been revalved and work very well.  I suppose my favorite is the pre SSS YZ, and I do prefer the 125 motor for fun.  However, I prefer the KTM for maintenance (air filter, no linkage) and quality parts.  Overall I would say a  preference for blue just based on the fun factor, and ultimately that's why I ride.

The first buddy has a KTM 250 (07 I think), a KTM 300 (2016), and an 06 YZ 250.  He has a developed a distinct preference for orange, and rarely rides the YZ.

A second buddy has two blue and one orange, and he seems to prefer the blue, as the orange is usually left home.

The third dual owning buddy is no longer a dual owner.  His preference for orange led him to just (recently)  sell the YZ--no regrets for him.

Moral of the story--I guess you can't really tell what you are going to like unless you have both.  Go buy that blue bike and do your own comparison!

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2

I went from a 2014 300 Husky/Ktm to a 2017 250x (with a 2016 450fx in between). The 300 is a tractor on the bottom, by far a better machine for hard enduro type riding Imo. If negotiating wet logs, rocks and slow switchback hills are your thing it might be a better choice, that's where it's advantages end, at least for me. I race gp's hare scrambles and the occasional mx race and my 250x is a much better do it all machine if that is what your looking for. The 17x has a bigger front rotor so braking is close to the same (give a slight nod to ktm), a big deal is made about the e-start and was nice for the 2 weeks it worked (new ones are better I'm told). 4cs forks? Not even close, had them revalved 3 times and every mod they came up with and the still deflected off roots, down right scary I thought (new air forks are better I'm told). The 6 speed in the ktm is nice but not nessesary, build quality on both are excellent although I lost a clutch on the x at about 20hrs, over 100hrs on the Husky and never a clutch. I had to raise the forks and run less sag to get the yami to turn as tight as a ktm, the yami is more stable at speed. I love the 250x, and I'm not a brand loyalist, I have not ridden the latest ktm 2t chassis/motor so I can't comment on it. Hope there's some helpful info in this rambling post.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input folks. I grew up running Yamaha bikes for the most part. So I guess that has something to do with me wanting to fall back on them. I used to be an Mx guy or hitting jumps all the time. But as I age I fell in love with riding trails, hence why I'm trying the xc/ enduro style racing this year. For whatever reason last fall I figured I had to have a 300xc for racing because they were the Cadillac of the woods world. I made a mistake and baught a lemon. I've rebuilt the bike from top to bottom. Tires, breaks bearings bushings you name it I've changed them. And for whatever reason it's left a sour taste in my mouth for the orange. I know it's not the brands fault I baught a pile of garbage but it's kind of a trust thing in my mind. And you can't be fast if you don't trust your scooter lol. I kind of like the Yamaha for its simplicity. E-start is a wonderful perk to have. Is it a necessity I don't think so. Headlight meh. I have one on my 300xc. I could live without it too I suppose. Power wise I would miss the 300 grunt for sure. But am comfortable with a 250. Yes the hydraulic clutch is a big win on the orange side
I'm not looking for someone to say yup but blue. But just weighing my options because I will take a loss on what money has been shelled into the ktm. There's no doubt about that. I've ridden the 2017 ktm lineup at a ride day. Yes they are sweet as hell. But 10g for a new bike is waaay out of the question as of now. Baby on the way and building a garage as we speak. Just wanted to hear feedback as to weather a 250x was a viable bike to be competitive against a see of orange bike come race day

• Like 2

I should say I'm enrolled in a nov b class for my first season just to learn the ropes of how things work and see what it's all about. But could propbably run in a nov a/ intermediate class if I was in a little better race shape lol. Incase anyone was tryin to figure that portion of bike choice out

On 4/12/2017 at 0:28 PM, dmrogers said:

I am a current KTM owner (mint 2005 200EXC) that recently bought a new 2016 YZX. Honestly, both are great bikes with their own little quirks if you will.

My KTM is open chamber front and PDS rear. After throwing some money at it, the suspension is very nice. The best I think I can get WP suspension to be. No complaints. I love the KTM chassis and engine. I feel that mine is bullet proof. Good brakes, good clutch, amazing bottom end torque. I can lug it for days and it never complains. The EXC has lights. After getting the suspension revalved, and getting a good seat, I feel like it is a great bike.

I have only had the YZX a few weeks, but here is my take on it so far: The suspension is great just like it is. The springs are right for my weight. I only had to adjust the sag a little in the shock. I tested some setting on the front/rear compression/rebound but in the end, I am very close to the stock (suggested factory settings in the manual) settings. The engine runs pretty clean and has very little spooge. Now that it is warming up a considerable bit from the first week I owned it, I do think it needs rejetting. Not a big deal. The gearing is fine for me. I was concerned about the gearing placement before I bought it, but after riding it, I don't really think about it much. It has great linear power with good bottom end. In comparison to the KTM, I think eventually I might add a heavier flywheel weight. But that is only for super tight trail and the fact that I am so used to the KTM torque. I cranks first kick almost every time without choke. Oh, and it IS light. It feels lighter than my KTM. This is something I love about this bike. I did pull the forks up in the clamps a lot and this had a positive effect on the steering without affecting the stability. I really like the brakes on the Yamaha. To me, they are every bit as good as the KTM. BUT I don't race. But they really feel nice and responsive. The Yamaha is taller than my KTM but I am getting used to it. Probably gonna have to shave the seat a little.

If I could only have one bike, I would hate to choose between the two. Both bikes are so much fun. Plus (and this is the best part) they are SO DIFFERENT. But I mean that in a good way. That's one of the reasons I bought the YZX, I wanted something different! 

To be honest, I just could bring myself to buy another KTM. I love mine, but it is an older model and I am very familiar with it. I am sold on the build quality of my older bike. I am not so sure about the newest model. I looked at some 2017s and just didn't get that warm and fuzzy over them. Plus, I felt that if I went the KTM route, I would have had to spend considerable money on the suspension before I would be satisfied. If I had gone with KTM, it would have had to have been a NOS 2015 or 2016 200 and I already have one.

Take this info for what it's worth. I'm an old trail rider that loves riding. I don't race, although I'm kinda itching to get back on the track for some fun!

Good luck!

this is a great post and goes to show you that while the 05 is old, bike setup trumps or at least holds up to new bikes alleged tech.

• Like 1

Well I've decided to keep the ktm. A friend of mine picked up a new yz250x a couple weeks ago and braught it out for a ride. I will admit I only had a chance to sit on the bike because he wiped out and crushed a rad before I got the chance to drive it. But just sitting on the bike it didn't feel quite as nice as the ktm. By that I mean I'd have to spend some money to get the yz to fit me a little better. He wasn't too sure about the bike himself. But it is the first time he's ever ridden a 2 banger and he wasn't use to the way the power is delivered. And I won't lie the power of the 300 is pretty tough to give up lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bbde17 said:

Well I've decided to keep the ktm. A friend of mine picked up a new yz250x a couple weeks ago and braught it out for a ride. I will admit I only had a chance to sit on the bike because he wiped out and crushed a rad before I got the chance to drive it. But just sitting on the bike it didn't feel quite as nice as the ktm. By that I mean I'd have to spend some money to get the yz to fit me a little better. He wasn't too sure about the bike himself. But it is the first time he's ever ridden a 2 banger and he wasn't use to the way the power is delivered. And I won't lie the power of the 300 is pretty tough to give up lol

Interesting since you started off the thread by saying you felt more comfortable on the yammie.  You must have adapted to the ktm better then you thought.  I would have done the same thing especially after dropping all the coin on the ktm. 

i'd suggest you take it for a spin when he gets it going. 

Oh I'm going to lol