2016 or 2017 xtrainer when price is only $750

9 hours ago, FUHL said:

I would by the 2016, spend the difference on Springs, pipe etc.

^ What he said

The 2017 has a new dash display (different manufacturer) and updated graphics package.  That's about it.  I'd buy the 2016.

Not to mention the new display is about a crappy as the old one

Not to mention the new display is about a crappy as the old one

? Works fine for me. I've been lucky and no issues yet

Mine drops segments when it's cold but if you touch it they come back

You would make that $$ in resale. Otherwise use the saving for add-ons and ride the bike into the ground.

You would make that $$ in resale.

Depends on how long he keeps is. A 10 year old bike isnt really worth $750 more than an 11 year old in the same condition. However, a 2 year old bike will easily get $750 more than a 3 year old bike in the same condition.

I tend to keep my bikes a while so I would go for the 2016.
  • Like 2

Splitting words here, 10 years by todays owners is "into the ground". If you're worried about resale your the type to sell every couple of years which was my point.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

Although I have no knowledge of '17 vs '16 displays, I'd say grab the '16 while you can if there are no other differences.  $750 buys a lot of protective parts you'll probably want to add to either.

Sounds like you're on the verge of making a commitment - post pics and first impressions! :)

Edited by wsjones

Deleted (replied to the wrong thread.).

Edited by wwguy

I'd go with the '16. Only difference is the graphics and trip computer. As a '17 owner, I like the '16 graphics better. I'm just amazed that there are any '16s out there. Most XTs are spoken for before they hit the dealer.

Hi everyone, thanks for all you input.

I bought the 2016 Beta xtrainer. Attached is a picture of it before I had it lowered 1.5", added a skid plate, pipe guard, rear disc protector, bark busters, seat concepts low seat (reduces height by another 3/4 inch), and linkage protector. I have not had a chance to ride it on the trails yet but have driven it on the street around my house. Coming from a CRF 230 it certainly has a lot more pep. I am sure i will like it in the trails but do not like it on the street as much as the CRF 230. It vibrates a lot more, is louder, and not half as smooth running through the gears and at speed as the CRF is. I knew it would be like this before i bought it so no surprise and am sure I will like it much more than the CRF once I get to use it on the trails. Without having it on the trails yet, I am wondering if I should have got the 390 4 stroke instead. 

2016BetaXtrainer.JPG

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PeterboroughPete said:

Hi everyone, thanks for all you input.

I bought the 2016 Beta xtrainer. Attached is a picture of it before I had it lowered 1.5", added a skid plate , pipe guard, rear disc protector, bark busters, seat concepts low seat (reduces height by another 3/4 inch), and linkage protector. I have not had a chance to ride it on the trails yet but have driven it on the street around my house. Coming from a CRF 230 it certainly has a lot more pep. I am sure i will like it in the trails but do not like it on the street as much as the CRF 230. It vibrates a lot more, is louder, and not half as smooth running through the gears and at speed as the CRF is. I knew it would be like this before i bought it so no surprise and am sure I will like it much more than the CRF once I get to use it on the trails. Without having it on the trails yet, I am wondering if I should have got the 390 4 stroke instead. 

What you describe about the vibration and smoothness is typical of 2t vs 4t. As an owner of both an Xtrainer and a 390, the 390 is much louder in stock form. Both are miles ahead in pretty much anything vs the CRF.

Ride if for a season and if you don't like it, the seat, disc protector and bark busters will transfer over to any other Beta of your choice.

It comes from the factory for another mission. If you want good road manners I suggest the following:.

1) balance the tires

2) jetting! Use a different needle such as Suzuki necj or try a JD kit.

3) gearing:. 14t front sprocket or smaller rear. If you run smaller rear sprocket you can also pull the rear tire back on the same chain giving more stability.

4) drop forks through clamps down 5 mm to raise front or add more rear race sag to calm down geometry

5) tighten steering head bearing

6) G2G throttle tamer 200 to ease zero to 1/8 throttle transition.

Most of these mods keep the key aspects of the bike but make it more suited. How do I know? I've been riding a mix of tighter trails and open haul roads, I'm still implementing some of the mods above to make between trail work more fun. I want to try a fatty tire next tire set. The geometry of the xtrainer is much more aggressive than the crf230, but can be calmed down. I find the stock combo of chassis nervousness and twitchy throttle to be tiring on open roads. This can be mitigated by setup. It will never be a 390...for good or for worse..

6 minutes ago, bikesandcars said:

It comes from the factory for another mission. If you want good road manners I suggest the following:.

1) balance the tires
2) jetting! Use a different needle such as Suzuki necj or try a JD kit. Both these will not like the road use when compared to stock
3) gearing:. 14t front sprocket or smaller rear. If you run smaller rear sprocket you can also pull the rear tire back on the same chain giving more stability. Toss gnarly off road out the window.
4) drop forks through clamps down 5 mm to raise front or add more rear race sag to calm down geometry. This will make the bike handle horribly in the woods. Stock already has issues with washing out with anything over first gear speeds.
5) tighten steering head bearing. Should be done on all bikes, many pro's do this
6) G2G throttle tamer 200 to ease zero to 1/8 throttle transition. Transition is first 1/2 rotation, 400 cam is the slowest then the 200.

Most of these mods keep the key aspects of the bike but make it more suited. How do I know? I've been riding a mix of tighter trails and open haul roads, I'm still implementing some of the mods above to make between trail work more fun.