How difficult is changing the fluid in the rear shock?

I need a new bumper on the rear shock of my 04' RM250......and in order to replace it, you pretty much have to pull the entire shock apart and put it back together again. I've rebuilt my forks with new seals and bushings and it was a piece of cake.

I was thinking about having a local guy do my shock but he wants $150 to pull it apart, put the new bumper in, fill it with fresh fluid, and recharge it with nitrogen.....that's about $50 more than most pro shops charge.

I looked online and and watched the rockymountainAtv video showing the whole process......and except for recharging it with nitrogen, it didnt look any more difficult than going through a set of forks.

Anyone done this before? Should I just pay $150 to have it done, or should I do it myself and save $100+ ....and then just find a place to charge it with nitrogen?

Try it! If you mess it up you can always take it to somebody.
I rebuilt my forks and shock a month or so ago. The shock was actually a bit easier than the forks because there's not as many parts...and only one shock. The shock is a bit messier though.
I bled and refilled my shock through the High Speed Compression hole versus filling it up through the seal body. I thought there would be less oil spill but my first attempt was still pretty messy.
Try to get all the air bubbles out although I'm not sure that's possible. Also remember where your air/nitrogen valve stem is facing so you don't get it all back together and realize that it's hitting your exhaust or something.

Can I fill the rear shock with the same 5wt Silkolenen suspension fluid that I uses for the forks? Or does the shock take a different type of fluid?

Pro rsf is fork and shock oil

It's obviously good to service and replace the oil but to change bumper you don't need to disassemble it.  You can let out the nitrogen/air and pull the clevis off the end.  Don't ask me how I know but i have had to do this and no oil comes out of the shaft.

Its easier to just disassemble the shock. If you do everything yourself and bleed the shock properly, most shops will charge you around $20 to charge it with nitrogen

I talked to one of the guys at Pro Action and they said that as long as I'm careful, and don't let the rebound rod fall out of the shock.....I can dump the pressure, pull the clevis off, replace the bumper, and then put the clevis back on.....recharge the shock, and be good to go. 

The hours on the shock are unknown since I bought the bike used. I think I'm just going to pull it apart and put fresh fluid in it....I found a local shop that will recharge it for $20.

• Like 1

The RMA video is pretty much dead on with what's involved. If you can do forks, you can do the shock. Buy a rebuild kit and a new spring for your weight while you are in there.

shock1.jpg

On 4/12/2017 at 9:38 AM, IQRaceworks said:

The hours on the shock are unknown since I bought the bike used. I think I'm just going to pull it apart and put fresh fluid in it....I found a local shop that will recharge it for $20.

Thats your best bet so you know where you stand as far as maintenance intervals .Since you have the shock out It'd be a good idea to grease the linkage and swingarm as well . If it was me I'd just go ahead and tackle all the grease spots since its torn down IE  bearings in rear wheel ,front wheel and stem too . Its no fun but simple and will be peace of mind knowing where you stand  being a "New to you " bike .

Edited by xxcody2gunsxx
  • Like 1