CRF230 resurrection ... Carb help

About four years ago I restored my buddies CRF. Did Race tech on forks (did it  myself) sent the shock out to that guy in San Jose. Re-jetted and pipe. Fantastic result. But my buddy is 

cruel to bikes and so is his spoiled 30 year old kid and clueless friend who "borrow" the bike, abuse it then put it away wet and broken and never say a word. Long story short, they abused the bike, then have let sit out that last 1.5 years, near the beach. 

First look:

Throttle stuck! Turns out slide was rusted stuck barrel ... carb full of corrosion, looked like Hell. I thought I could pick up a nice used Carb cheap ... but hardly any out there, all over $100. 

OK guys, which rebuild kit is the best? I've stupidly used ALL BALLS kits (bearings, seals, jets) in the past ... never again. it's very poor Chinese stuff. I know most of these kits come from China ... do you guy recommend one that might actually FIT that 230 Keihin Carb? Looks like I need a float bowl valve ... and need to know proper way to set float height on this carb. I've gone through the carb, cleaned it up with a soak in Simple Green and clean up with Carb cleaner. Blasted out with air. Float valve is leaking, I think I tweaked the "tang" when getting the pin out. (dumb). 

I've love to just toss the whole carb away ... if I could find a decent one to put in. Meantime I'd like to try a Carb kit and replace what I can. Anything that is a common failure on these? 

I imagine letting them sit does the MOST damage. When the bike was running ... was perfect. 

Any help, links or recommendations greatly appreciated. TIA!! 

Patrick 

Edited by 54321
spelling

Thanks TT, that is what I figured. But the kits make it easy ... now I have to track down every single bit I need off the Fiche. PITA.

I wonder if Honda OEM dealers offer a rebuild kit for this Carb? I've not seen one, did I miss it?

Anyone know how to set float height correctly? I can wing it but a tutorial would help.

TIA, Patrick

Thanks guys,

I read back on the first thread here and found some detail on setting float height. I've used the tube method on my DR650, worked well. This CRF has some damaged parts

so ordering up some new stuff, hoping for the best. The used carbs on Ebay are pretty bad ... corrosion, rust. Anyone have a nice used Carb they want to sell?

or know where to get one? I will keep an eye on Ebay ... hope to find a better one. I saw that I can buy ALL the OEM HONDA internal parts for $233. May go that route.

Will update on progress in next week or so.

Thanks everyone!

Patrick

For that kind of money you might consider a new kx100 pwk carb for greater performance, where I'm going.

• Like 1

If you decide to go the cleaning route, I highly recommend an ultrasonic cleaner. I have one from Harbor Freight that works great for carbs. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2017 at 4:36 PM, Baja Rambler said:

For that kind of money you might consider a new kx100 pwk carb for greater performance, where I'm going.

Interesting! tell me more! What mods have to be done to make it fit? Choke? Throttle cables? Any info appreciated!

Patrick

There are some threads on the pwk here.  Carb is shorter.  New throttle, cable, slide, jets, handmade adapters, etc.

The PWK adapters that he makes, are they pressed on to the carb, or are there set screws that hold it on tight? I remember seeing pictures of it on a bike and was wondering how they stay together.

41 minutes ago, mx4god said:

The PWK adapters that he makes, are they pressed on to the carb, or are there set screws that hold it on tight? I remember seeing pictures of it on a bike and was wondering how they stay together.

If I had to guess I would say interference fit and/or epoxy.

• Like 1

For engine side, BTR sawed the spigot off an old PD carb and pressed it on with JB weld.  The air box side is a bit more tricky.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:57 AM, 54321 said:

Thanks TT, that is what I figured. But the kits make it easy ... now I have to track down every single bit I need off the Fiche. PITA.

I wonder if Honda OEM dealers offer a rebuild kit for this Carb? I've not seen one, did I miss it?

Anyone know how to set float height correctly? I can wing it but a tutorial would help.

TIA, Patrick

Good source for Keihin/Mikuni parts and kits, the only issue is the Keihin needles are not the same as Honda OEM and there is not a good cross reference: http://www.jetsrus.com/

I've purchased the Chinese kits but throw out the jets and use the other parts.

+1 on the PWK carb, I have one on my Powroll XR218.

Edited by Chuck.