What have i done wrong

Hello. I'm trying to make a bad decision a good one lol. I swapped my crf230 for a 1996 kx125. It had a clutch issue where as soon as you put it into gear it went with clutch still in so had to give it lots of gas. I got a new clutch kit and drained oil what for been done not long ago it was so grey and yuck. I just put new clutch kit on and new oil but now the clutch cable has so much play it does nothing. New to this so wondering what I've done wrong!

The clutch cable will always need to be adjusted when the clutch is changed, and adjusted as it wears. Adjust to lengthen the cable housing, this taking up the slack. If you can't get all the slack out at full adjust, there are many possibilities. It's an old bike, so many things could have been messed with. Could have wrong cable, wrong clutch perch, wrong lever, you name it. Did you try adjusting the cable before you put the clutch in?

• Like 1

The clutch cable will always need to be adjusted when the clutch is changed, and adjusted as it wears. Adjust to lengthen the cable housing, this taking up the slack. If you can't get all the slack out at full adjust, there are many possibilities. It's an old bike, so many things could have been messed with. Could have wrong cable, wrong clutch perch, wrong lever, you name it. Did you try adjusting the cable before you put the clutch in?

I managed to get it tight, not sure exactly how but pull clutch kit out and put back in. Maybe had it the wrong way. But its still doing what it was doing before new clutch plates. Wanting to go as soon as you click it into gear. Will get new cable next week to see if that helps. The one on there is adjusted to the max.

Is it only doing it when cold? What kind of transmission oil are you running?

Is it only doing it when cold? What kind of transmission oil are you running?

When i got it i was told it just had a oil change. But after trying to sell it and people finding more and more wrong with it i decided to keep it. I thought i had to drain oil to do clutch. The oil was grey and yuck. I put in Motul transoil expert 10w40