Decompression lever 1986 Xr250

I am in the process of putting back together my 1986  xr250. It is missing the manual decompression lever and cable. It does have the automatic cable. Is the manual one necessary? Will the auto one provide enough compression release? Thanks

the auto is fine for normal starting etc. The manual is useful if it gets flooded trying to start, or being dropped, then you can kick it through a few times to clear it.

Depends on how good a starter it is, and your intended use but its not essential by any means.

Why not get an ACtual OEM part? A cable isnt hard to have made tho. People do this. Just measure how long it needs to be. ASV makes a rotator clamp thumb lever thst I use. Looks way cooler than a stock one. And I have two stock ones Ill sell. If you live in SoCal I got you a parts discount. If not this is cheap enough to do right.

I prefer to NOT have any auto decomp and only have a manual decomp. ASV thumb lever. Any bike, not just xr

• Like 1

Why don't you like the auto decomp?

This is just a trail bike. I just purchased it for $600 and are in the process of putting in new rings and cam chain.

Edited by liberty2701

I like to just use the manual lever and slowly rotate with the kick start until it comes up to close to top dead center on the compression stroke.  Then you can kick it through and get more one kick starts that way,  or at least I do.   my preferred method since before that 86 was built.  A more convenient method than "backing up" a 4 stroke single single to get to the compression stroke.  

• Like 1

I like to just use the manual lever and slowly rotate with the kick start until it comes up to close to top dead center on the compression stroke.  Then you can kick it through and get more one kick starts that way,  or at least I do.   my preferred method since before that 86 was built.  A more convenient method than "backing up" a 4 stroke single single to get to the compression stroke.  

He said it all

Checking my pulse generator gap. How wide is to wide? It calls for .7mm(.030) Mine measures .87mm. (.036).

Edited by liberty2701

I adjusted it down to the .030 spec. I widened one hole and removed the tab on the back. This gave me the ability to move it slightly. I then locked it in place with adhesive.