My YZ don't stop

I'm having troubles with YZ125 not stopping. I replace the master, new caliper piston o-rings, new pads last week and has a braided line. I haven't rode it for 2yrs and last 2 weekends I've taken it out and scaring the shit out me. I'm not sure if YZ's just don't stop. My CRF250R has a over sized disc and stops on a dime with one finger. 

Like, it literally won't stop?  Or the braking is just weaker than your Honda?  What year is your YZ?  My YZ250X has plenty of stopping power.  No, not like KTM Brembos (that I find TOO powerful), but plenty to haul it down from whatever speed.

Is your lever soft?  What exactly is it doing?

• Like 1

I had this problem on my 05 YZ250. The original rotor was so thin that the brake pads weren't squeezing the rotor until the caliper was already past the point were it gets the most leverage on the pads. I replaced the front rotor with Galfer's one-piece oversized 270mm rotor ($135) and the front brake feels amazing now. 

You are going to have to explain "leverage" on that little twin cylinder caliper to me ;)

2 hours ago, Doc_speeder said:

Like, it literally won't stop?  Or the braking is just weaker than your Honda?   What year is your YZ?  My YZ250X has plenty of stopping power.  No, not like KTM Brembos (that I find TOO powerful), but plenty to haul it down from whatever speed.

Is your lever soft?  What exactly is it doing?

The oldest yz I have is a 95.  With average pads and a well bled system it is fine for trail riding.  Locks up either end if you want.  

Sounds like a search is needed to find the threads on brake bleeding and/or replacements. Think you'll find a thread every other page. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ossagp said:

You are going to have to explain "leverage" on that little twin cylinder caliper to me ;)

Tt's the best way I can think of to describe what I was experiencing. I bled the brake assembly sooooo many times and it still would not grab like it should. I was smashing my other fingers against the throttle tube I was squeezing the brake so hard and the bike wouldn't want to stop.  

8 hours ago, JGildea413 said:

Tt's the best way I can think of to describe what I was experiencing. I bled the brake assembly sooooo many times and it still would not grab like it should. I was smashing my other fingers against the throttle tube I was squeezing the brake so hard and the bike wouldn't want to stop.  

I kind of thought you were at a loss for words. :thumbsup:

The brake lever compared to my my CRF is the same and I cannot compress the lever against the bars. I also run Rekluse in CRF so it has stuff all engine brake. I believe I have no air in the system at all. I also reverse bleed the system. I have 06 model 125 and been tight riding single track with no real speed.