Rekluse impression (500exc) - and where do you ride

This is a combo first impression with a Rekluse Core EXP3 on a 500exc, and a bit about the terrain where everyone rides (post some vids of your riding area!), since the two are so related. 

Bike: 2014 500exc, mostly stock.  De-smogged, TPS adjustment.  15/52 gearing

Installation: It is installed exactly how it came out of the box.  Stock wedges and springs.  There is a short recommended break-in procedure that would probably take 10 minutes or so... if I did it, oops! My break-in went like this;  roll down the drive way, test a 3rd gear start, back to the garage for one quick adjustment and haven't touched it since.  I have it adjusted so there is slight drag when idling in gear. 

Riding: After about 50 miles of single track, I really dig it!  I'm plenty good with the clutch, but when trying to go fast I only get about 30 minutes before my clutch hand is mush, so my primary goal was to increase ride time at full speed.  Mission accomplished!  I don't think my top speed is any faster, but I can maintain top speed longer since my clutch hand doesn't get tired.  Also mistakes are much less costly since there's no worry of stalling.  Traction is fantastic.  The engagement is soft, but once the RPM is up a bit I don't notice any slipping.  Starts are fun.  Using 2nd gear, if you open the throttle the bike stands strait up.  Starting in 3rd gear has a softer launch with less wheel spin but lifts the front right up as the clutch starts to lock up.  Hopping logs was easier to adjust to than I expected, and rock piles are very much easier.  In the tight but flowing stuff just leave it in 2nd gear.  The only negatives are that the clutch lever feels really funny when the motor has some RPM, like the first half of the pull is just mush.  Also going really slow, like slower than walking speed slow, takes some getting used to since you have to give the motor enough RPM to get the clutch to engage a bit and the clutch lever isn't really useful at that low of an RPM, where with a manual clutch you would typically be at idle RPM and just slipping the clutch.  But overall I'm really digging it, definitely adds to the fun factor in the terrain I ride in.  

Here's part of a 30 mile cruise through the woods testing it out, starts out slow then a little more flowing stuff: 

Be careful, the more it slips the hotter the oil will get. My CR250 side cover got so hot I couldn't keep my hand on the side cover so I set it up to fully engage just off idle. These KTM 4 t's get that hot in normal operation so how much hotter will that oil get when it slips a lot? 

Make sure you stay in the correct gear.. it's too easy to think you're in 1st or 2nd when its actually 3rd or 4th and things really heat up! 

. my hands and the brembo clutch are still working perfectly and with proper gearing and one finger clutch operation its not on my list .

• Like 1