Jump to content

Navigation - GPS - entering waypoints options 2 Tracker - others?

Recommended Posts

Ok guys,

I need the voice of reason,  information and clarity here.  My brothers and I are about to enter into another one of those -  seemed like a good idea at the time adventures.

We are going to run the Gambler 500.  a 400 mile 2 day , on- off road rally for junky hooptie cars and trucks -  Motorcycles not allowed BTW -  unless you want to run road tires,  and a faring like one of those old windjammers!  Route beings and ends in Troy,  heads north,  mixture of roads obviously,  and back woods stuff.

So since we can't run bikes, We ended up using an old landrover defender 110 military vehicle from england.  

Since it is a rally -  there is navigation involved.  apparently you are given a list of 20 or 25 waypoints.  Your job is to get to the waypoint,  and take a picture to prove you got there.

They recommend using google maps on your phone -  but stress that you will be in areas with no coverage - so you need to be proficent at using it W?o coverage.

So it seems to me,  if one were to get an I-Pad they could mount in the rover -  load in VV mapping stuff - so you have complete topo coverage -  and then were able to manually type in waypoints -  which would then show up in the VV maps,  and then use the iPads GPS chip -  you would have a nice big nav screen that will show alot more than an iPhone,  and be easier to follow.

So 2Trkr -  does your system accept manually entered points?  and if so -  how.

Beyond that,  any ideas,  experiences etc with navigating W/O phone coverage -  and the ability to manually enter specific waypoints is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at AvenzaPDF maps.  Main site is: https://www.avenzamaps.com/.  The software is free and you can use it with iPhone/iPad, andriod or windows phone based devices.  The way I understand it the software uses both Cell and/or GPS to track your location, it is then presented of PDF based maps.  I know there are all kinds of free maps for michgan in store.  You can also import 3 maps from other sources.  Last, once you choose map you can drop pins and I believe you can enter in a location (point) as a destination.

I use this software all of the time with the MI DNR ORV maps and it works great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your GPS will allow you to manually enter waypoints, from the coordinates they are providing. Even the cheap car units can do that. On the older Nuvi, you hit Where To and then Coordinates. Punch in the info and you can save them as Favorites (waypoints).

Not sure how much "off road" there will be in this project, using the builtin-in street maps of the car GPS may be more than you need. Most of the destinations probably can be a simple "go to" and have the GPS give guidance on how to get there.

Since you are going to be covering 150+ miles on this adventure, using a georeferenced PDF would be pretty cumbersome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeramey,

You know more about the mapping than I do, but if a geofenced map of MI, or at least the area that included the 150 miles, and has sufficent detail (assuming that exists) wouldn't that work?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, slowstepper said:

Ok guys,

I need the voice of reason,  information and clarity here.  My brothers and I are about to enter into another one of those -  seemed like a good idea at the time adventures.

We are going to run the Gambler 500.  a 400 mile 2 day , on- off road rally for junky hooptie cars and trucks -  Motorcycles not allowed BTW -  unless you want to run road tires,  and a faring like one of those old windjammers!  Route beings and ends in Troy,  heads north,  mixture of roads obviously,  and back woods stuff.

So since we can't run bikes, We ended up using an old landrover defender 110 military vehicle from england.  

Since it is a rally -  there is navigation involved.  apparently you are given a list of 20 or 25 waypoints.  Your job is to get to the waypoint,  and take a picture to prove you got there.

They recommend using google maps on your phone -  but stress that you will be in areas with no coverage - so you need to be proficent at using it W?o coverage.

So it seems to me,  if one were to get an I-Pad they could mount in the rover -  load in VV mapping stuff - so you have complete topo coverage -  and then were able to manually type in waypoints -  which would then show up in the VV maps,  and then use the iPads GPS chip -  you would have a nice big nav screen that will show alot more than an iPhone,  and be easier to follow.

So 2Trkr -  does your system accept manually entered points?  and if so -  how.

Beyond that,  any ideas,  experiences etc with navigating W/O phone coverage -  and the ability to manually enter specific waypoints is appreciated!

Google would be a terribly painful way to try and get places off road. 

get any Android phone/tablet that has a GPS antenna, Velcro it to the dash, and install:

 

locus map

brouter 

Michigan maps from open 

andromaps

 

and use it to plot routes for a ride one weekend. it's incredibly powerful as an offline GPS , and shows topo lines, map overlays, contours, tracks, routes, waypoints, without issue. again, all of that while offline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tcmII said:

Jeramey,

You know more about the mapping than I do, but if a geofenced map of MI, or at least the area that included the 150 miles, and has sufficent detail (assuming that exists) wouldn't that work?

 

It would, but you'd not have adequate detail for the type of trip they are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2017 at 5:28 PM, 2TrakR said:

It would, but you'd not have adequate detail for the type of trip they are doing.

 

 

i download satellite imagery around the tracks i plan to ride. the resolution is plenty good for off-road. for on road i use open Street maps. plenty of detail there also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×