Saturday 4/15 Moonrocks exploratory

anyone want to ride Moonrocks this Saturday? looking at weather, local sierra trails probably too wet or snowed.

So I am ready to commit to driving over the hill to Nevada. Stage at 830 am, ride a long loop, explore things, its been long while since I was there

Edited by bigbob

this will be a champange and reefer ride.   easy breezey single cow trails and some sand washes

cimg1825medium_zps0fa9ca92.JPG

Road jumps and fancy leg kick staging area joy ridng not encourgaged but acceptable

honda road jump.JPG

leg jump.JPG

Edited by bigbob

what happend to Norcal TTers? I am gone 5 years and the place evacuates for SoCal?  the SoCal guys are having rides,  here in NorCAl it's crickets?

Gonna take a long time to make it come back...    maybe its the weather? MR could be good

tenor.gif

Edited by bigbob

There are people riding - but not a lot.

I ride solo a lot - not like it used to be.

I will be riding Elkins Saturday I am sure.  Not too concerned about snow.  Gold Note will have no snow I am sure.

• Like 1

Solo ridng sucks.   I see you like PMs.  I will go that route

After solo riding for 20+ years, I like riding either way.

One thing about solo riding - the pace is always perfect!

• Like 2

.......... and another thing about solo riding... 

You don't have to work on slackers bikes in the parking lot. or wait an hour for them to get there because they stopped for a sit-down breakfast. 

You always get to lead... no eating dust even in midsummer. I could go on and on ... yea, I'm a soloists.. it's a badge of honor in many extreme sports.  Self reliance is a lost art in today's society. 

On the bike soloing is mostly to keep on the wife's schedule. I have done some great group rides too. 

Bob, if you ever want to try trials some evening after work, I live just up from you and have a backyard play ground. :ride:

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 3

Dr Kayak, we rode together before as I recall. Let's ride again. Riding solo is scary to me, one miss step...

trials? I think I just did that in Barstow. I am so tall and big, can not see me on a trials bike, but thanks for invite

7 hours ago, bigbob said:

what happend to Norcal TTers? I am gone 5 years and the place evacuates for SoCal?  the SoCal guys are having rides,  here in NorCAl it's crickets?

Gonna take a long time to make it come back...    maybe its the weather? MR could be good

tenor.gif

Biggest thing that bothers me since moving back to nor Cal.. where are the rides? Where's the reports? Where's the shit talking? Where's the pictures I don't want people to see?

But here I am, not riding. After a strong 4 year run of riding nearly every weekend, I am officially taking a break from riding, it kills me but at the same time I have to take care of business so I can ride till I'm the donkeys age. 

I'm hoping this summer to be out there in the high country with a hand saw and my 300 making trails that no nor Cal tter can do. 

I will leave people for dead.

16 hours ago, bigbob said:

anyone want to ride Moonrocks this Saturday? looking at weather, local sierra trails probably too wet or snowed.

So I am ready to commit to driving over the hill to Nevada. Stage at 830 am, ride a long loop, explore things, its been long while since I was there

Getting up at 4 am to ride Moonrocks? 

Nope.

Getting up at 4 am to ride Moonrocks? 
Nope.

ok, what time works for you? if you're interested?

Biggest thing that bothers me since moving back to nor Cal.. where are the rides? Where's the reports? Where's the shit talking? Where's the pictures I don't want people to see?
But here I am, not riding. After a strong 4 year run of riding nearly every weekend, I am officially taking a break from riding, it kills me but at the same time I have to take care of business so I can ride till I'm the donkeys age. 
I'm hoping this summer to be out there in the high country with a hand saw and my 300 making trails that no nor Cal tter can do. 
I will leave people for dead.

If you build it, they will come
  • Like 1

for solo riding have your DeLorme or Spot Tracker on you.
as stated above, solo riding is awesome! there's a zen to it.
but riding with a couple guys pushing you, talkin shit, is always good times as well.
but if everyone is busy with their wives/lives, i'll go ride regardless.

• Like 2

I actually bought a used sat phone with a low minute plan.  If I'm on the trail with bones poking out - I want to talk with someone instead of a light saying it sent the message.  Plus, I can order my Mocha Latte while I am out deep in the woods......

• Like 2

tree fall at EF/GN likely, while MRs will not have such obstacles....

flying back home today, will make the call on friday......

I actually bought a used sat phone with a low minute plan.  If I'm on the trail with bones poking out - I want to talk with someone instead of a light saying it sent the message.  Plus, I can order my Mocha Latte while I am out deep in the woods......

i want a sat phone but they are somewhat expensive and when you call for help, SOS/911 doesn't know where you are.
we had a situation that we called 911 with a sat phone and i had to tell them the GPS coordinates from my Garmin GPS and they still were confused.
there's something about DeLorme/Spot that is flawless.
and DeLorme has the text feature so you can still tell them your frapacino order while the bones are drying out
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RAZR_ said:

i want a sat phone but they are somewhat expensive and when you call for help, SOS/911 doesn't know where you are.
we had a situation that we called 911 with a sat phone and i had to tell them the GPS coordinates from my Garmin GPS and they still were confused.
there's something about DeLorme/Spot that is flawless.
and DeLorme has the text feature so you can still tell them your frapacino order while the bones are drying out

I like that - more of a Latte fan than Frapachino - text an order - sounds plausible.  But a lot of texting to be sure it is soy based and gluten free....

I have had to deal with an air rescue years ago.  I was able to finally hit a ridge and get cell service on my flip phone (all that was available back then).  They asked where we were at and I told them, though no coordinates.  They asked for a road intersection, but the closest was 5 or so miles away.  I said I would meet them there on my bike, and they could follow me to the accident.  The helicopter came over me and I took off on my CR500 through the woods.  They were low enough I could hear them above me.  They followed me as I rode there as fast as I could.  BTW - there is no way you can outrun a helicopter.  I stopped at the site, and they lowered the EMT on a cable and did the recovery.  It was surreal.

I am assuming I could give coordinates if hurt and lucid.  If not lucid - well, it ma not turn out OK.  Life is a risk.

• Like 3