New study shows running will extend your life

:doh:  I sorta knew this, but study after study seems to support it.  Running has always been a part of my fitness plan, I've been a runner for around 45 years.  I never ever run pavement, I always run trails up behind my house.  Adidas trail runners are my shoe of choice.  For you guys that don't run, give it a try, it can be not only good for your body, it is good for your head, too.  Some of my best thinking is done while running...or non thinking and just zoning out and enjoying it.  When I used to write for my job some of my best op-eds were done in my head while running.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/well/move/an-hour-of-running-may-add-seven-hours-to-your-life.html?_r=0

• Like 1

I do the occasional run, but only when the road or trail conditions suck too bad to ride my bicycles. I'm actually a pretty decent runner, but it's too boring for me to enjoy. 

I absolutely love riding bikes though, I can't think of one ride that I didn't enjoy myself.(Aside from the 35 mph crash on descent with my road bike.) I live in the mountains, so it's perfect cycling country. Nothing like carving a high-speed descent on the road bike...even going back up is fun in it's own way. I've always been pretty good at cycling, I have the right build for it...I've got long femurs compared to my lower legs and torso. It's an advantage on the bike, but kind of inefficient for running. My only saving graces for running, is that I'm fairly lean and I have a pretty good cardio output.

• Like 1

I run for fitness and enjoyment as well.  Ran exclusively barefoot for over a year in order to re-learn to run with proper form.  I only run on pavement/sidewalks/etc.  If you think you have good form, try running barefoot and you will know quickly whether you do or not.  Now use FiveFingers almost exclusively (except in wet conditions).  Closest thing to barefoot I've tried.

Running is good, but don't over do it.