2014 WR450 - Gasoline in the oil

2014, almost new, 2000 miles: I changed the oil yesterday and immediately after pulling the drain bolt was hit with the strong smell of gasoline. After draining all the oil I poured it back into a measuring cup and the total amount was roughly a quart (no filter change). So, while it's obvious there is gasoline in the oil, there's not much.

I'm not much of a mechanic so all I can come up with is a leaky injector. I should also note that the current map I have installed produces difficulty starting the bike. It routinely takes three attempts to start, so it goes through three priming cycles (the first when the electrical system is turned on, and twice more after each failed attempt to start). Could this cycle be contributing to the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

It may be washing fuel past the rings when the hard starting is occurring.  Or if your injector is leaking down into the motor this could be causing both symptoms. 

Perhaps try leaning out the fuel map in the low RPM area.  If you feel like it you could pull the injector out and visually inspect it for leakage.

Every time you crank an engine and it doesn't start a little gas runs down into the sump. Every time. Are you saying you went 2000 miles without changing the oil?

"Are you saying you went 2000 miles without changing the oil?"

No I'm not, you're inferring it. The total mileage on the bike is 2000 and this last oil change was my 5th. I should note again that there was no detection of gasoline on the first four oil changes. The only thing that changed between this oil change and the one before it was the new map, thus my suspicion that the 3 prime cycle on every startup might be the culprit (i.e. excess fuel from the primes getting past the rings and into the crankcase).

10 hours ago, ewr2004 said:

2014, almost new, 2000 miles: I changed the oil yesterday and immediately after pulling the drain bolt was hit with the strong smell of gasoline. After draining all the oil I poured it back into a measuring cup and the total amount was roughly a quart (no filter change). So, while it's obvious there is gasoline in the oil, there's not much.

I'm not much of a mechanic so all I can come up with is a leaky injector. I should also note that the current map I have installed produces difficulty starting the bike. It routinely takes three attempts to start, so it goes through three priming cycles (the first when the electrical system is turned on, and twice more after each failed attempt to start). Could this cycle be contributing to the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you have not been filtering your gas, or adding gas treatment for pump gas, your pump filter is dirty, and your injectors are dirty.

Can you enlighten me and tell me how a dirty filter and/or injector translates into fuel entering the crankcase?

34 minutes ago, ewr2004 said:

Can you enlighten me and tell me how a dirty filter and/or injector translates into fuel entering the crankcase?

Yes.

Fuel that is atomized gets burned.

Fuel that is not atomized does not.

It has to go somewhere.......like down the cylinder walls.

When a pump is weak or an injector is dirty, it no longer sprays a fine enough mist to be atomized and burned.

Appreciate your input. I've ordered a (gas tank insert) fuel filter and a bottle of injector cleaner.

i think krannie is trying to say that if there is crud in your system the only thing that will get rid of it is physical cleaning, And i agree at least thats how its always been with carbs. Routine injector cleaner treatment with your favorite brand might prevent the build up of sludge and debris in the system but once its there, its there.

Im not entirely convinced that your fuel system is in poor physical shape this early on. It could be a matter of tuning the CO adjustment, that and hold off on starting the bike with the button initially. Even though my 16' model is supposed to be much better at starting I've found that if i kick it it fires every single time cold.

3 hours ago, cxr100 said:

i think krannie is trying to say that if there is crud in your system the only thing that will get rid of it is physical cleaning, And i agree at least thats how its always been with carbs. Routine injector cleaner treatment with your favorite brand might prevent the build up of sludge and debris in the system but once its there, its there.

Im not entirely convinced that your fuel system is in poor physical shape this early on. It could be a matter of tuning the CO adjustment, that and hold off on starting the bike with the button initially. Even though my 16' model is supposed to be much better at starting I've found that if i kick it it fires every single time cold.

You kick your bike? 

On April 14, 2017 at 2:02 PM, stevethe said:

You kick your bike? 

yes and no, a friend suggested i kick it over initially while the engine is cold his reasoning being the starter is so small compared to like our 250's. so thats been something I've been trying... probably better on the starter and better on the engine too since I'm not cracking the throttle and introducing more fuel to a motor thats not firing up.

10 hours ago, cxr100 said:

yes and no, a friend suggested i kick it over initially while the engine is cold his reasoning being the starter is so small compared to like our 250's. so thats been something I've been trying... probably better on the starter and better on the engine too since I'm not cracking the throttle and introducing more fuel to a motor thats not firing up.

Me no kickie.