Tires for Crosstimbers Trails - Oklahoma

Hey Thumpers,

I am new to dirt riding.  I picked up a Honda230F for some trail riding out at Crosstimbers (Draper Lake, Oklahoma).  

These trails seem to have it all, rocky hill climbs, some sand up top and red clay mud holes here and there.  So my question is, what kind of tire would suit me best for this area?  Knobby, Trials, Hybrid?  

Honestly, it's the rocky hill climbs that intimidate me the most.  

For those not familiar with the area, it's red dirt clay, but they shut the trails down when wet.  So mostly hard dry clay.

I am not looking to be super moto guy racing all over the place.  I just want the safest most comfortable tire to get my old butt up and around.  I have a feeling these stock knobbies aren't the best choice.

Meh, I rode an RMZ450 with OLD knobbies there and felt fine. First time on any dirt bike period, but have ridden big dual sport bike there as well with 50/50 on the green and grass track without issues. The stock should be fine

Yeah your probably right.  I will put some wear on my stockers for sure.   I admit to being a little spoiled and like to upgrade my toys.   I am just kind of wondering what more experienced riders would prefer for that kind of terrain.  

I have been leaning towards the MT43's.  I like that they are DOT and good on rocks.  My families land is really rocky too.  I might also tag my bike for dual sport in the future.

I rode there with Golden Boy trail tires (Dual Sport) and a friend used knobbie bikes.  Both did well.  There aren't any really steep hills to climb, and I don't remember there being that many rocks or sand. Mostly Okie red dirt.  Get ready for lots of tight turns, and some ruts.  It can be a mess when wet.

My brother lives in Mustang, and I have a stash bike I leave there to ride when I'm down visiting. I run soft terrain tires like the Michelin s12, Pirelli Scorpion xcms, or similar compound. These types of tire work very well in the sand found at Draper (especially in the summer), but not as well on the hard pack clay or rock. They will grip just fine, but not last as long.

I think a medium compound tire would work very well there. Something like Michelin Starcross 5 or Dunlop mx52.

I know this is an old thread but just thought to look up Oklahoma in tje regional section.

I just started riding dirt 2 years ago, so I don't know much about tire selection.

Draper is the only place I've ridden so far. My friend has 3 vintage Yamaha's that he built from parts bikes he picked up at A&A cycles. He rides a 175, and has 2 spare dt125's, one of which I ride while I'm building my XR200R. I'm 6' 210lbs, so the bike is a bit small for me, but it gets me around pretty good and I have a lot of fun on it. 

He just keeps some regular old knobbies on the bikes and they get around there just fine. When I get my bike trail worthy I'll have a brand new tire on there, so I might have a different opinion lol. 

I've ridden every trail there on that bike, yes even the black trail, and I wouldn't say there's any "big" hill climbs, but there are a lot of tricky places to get through.

I know some of the guy's in the honda 80-200 forum, and in the honda 230 forum that like running trials tires. I'm not sure if they have much sand, but they love them for rock and hard pack

Trials tires are okay for solid rock and hardpack, but i would use a more aggressive tread.  See my old post above.  I have ridden dirt since 1971, and quit using trials tires years ago.  Since my post above, I went back to knobbies.  

Right. There's definitely more need for knobbies there. I might pick up some trials tires in the future if I ever go ride with my gf's cousin. He lives in Boulder Colorado, but likes to go to Utah.

I'm just ready to get my bike done. I need to pull the clutch cover and replace a couple parts, I just don't have the socket to pull the clutch basket. I also need to get the carb adjusted so the damn thing will start in 1 or 2 kicks, and not 20 :banghead:

Do they check for spark arrestors at Draper lake (crosstimbers creek) ? I know its says they are required but it says that on most websites.

I am trying to get some ideas together for my annual winter ride and I want to make sure I cover any issues that might come about.

and weezer don't think I forgot about you Kansas guys, I have been really busy with the move and working the property I bought, but now the cold is starting to set in and I am about done working outside for the winter. I am just trying to get a plan together before I make an announcement about where we are going and when.

Edited by itsallbizz

Nobody checks anything there. Spark arrestors are required, i mean it's nothing but woods and grass trails, probably a good thing. 2 years ago there was a guy there checking riding permits to see if we had em, but that's it. Last year/earlier this year they actually had girls up front at the entrance to the parking area checking permits before letting us through. 

However, the guy that was checking permits was enforcing rules in the parking area (helmets required at all times on a moving bike), he was on a dual sport and did hit the trails from what I remember. He might've been a park ranger or something. I've only seen him that 1 time. 

There are often Okc police that drive through the parking area, but if you're not doing something wrong, you have nothing to worry about. 

Where'd you move to? Still in that area west of Davis? 

I have no issues with buying permits and "paying to play" I just dont want to buy a spark arrestor unless I absolutely have too. I am not looking to start any trouble or try to get away with something, I just like to know what to expect when riding somewhere for the first time.

I still live in Nebr but I come down to Okla and ride a few times every winter.

I hear ya. I think about the only place that's not gonna require one is gonna be an mx track. 

But like I said, nobody checks anything. You go to Ajax or the marina, fill out the permit, and be on your way. We've never had anybody stop us and look at the bikes and never seen anybody looking around at anybody else's. 

Just don't burn down our woods :p

Hopefully I'll have my bike trail worthy when you come down, I'll join ya. Always good meeting new people

Cross Timbers sounds like a place I would want to ride, I will definitely check it out this winter when I come down. The more I thought about it the more I would like one way trails, then I wouldn't have to be so worried about getting smoked by some jag on a quad or in a jeep.

Is there any good single track/ hill climbs? I like the nasty tight stuff you have to think about while riding.

Do they have a facebook page or website?

Edited by itsallbizz

I have a lot of fun there. Seems like every time I go there's different changes in the terrain somewhere. 

The green trail and grass track are open to quads. They're wide and fast, pretty fun I thunk. 

The red, blue, and black trails are all single track.

It's been since earlier this year since we've been, but from what I remember, the red had been opened up a lol wider than it used to be due to maintenance. But it still has its tight places. 

The blue trail is more technical and tighter

The black is the longest, and most technical with a lot of deep creek crossings with some tricky climbs and tough places throughout. There's a big wide open grass section to go fast, then back into the woods. Then there's another wide open field with a bunch of good size hills, some can be jumped. (We like that area and have a shortcut to go straight to it sometimes). Then it's back to woods. The black is I think 28 miles of trail.

The red, blue, and black all have tight slow areas for the most part, and all have places where you can run out 3rd gear or better.

Hopefully we can go in the next couple weeks and I can give a better update. 

You can easily spend a whole day there riding 

Also, depending on weather, like if we've gotten a lot of rain, the black trail might be closed, I think due to the deep creeks that run through it. So that trail can be hit or miss

How deep are the crossings under normal weather conditions? My buddy and I have had some real bad luck when it comes to creek/river crossings. Last time we both sunk our bikes and he needed a 2700 dollar total rebuild (4 stroke). I only needed to pull the plug and let the bike dry out (2 stroke) and our day/week/month was DONE. I did give mine a good inspection afterwards and did not see any issues, I have been running the same top/bottom end since

I would hate to drive 8.5 hours and not be able to ride some great trails because my bike was drowned. Or I couldn't ride the trails I wanted because they were closed, but I would call or contact someone a day or two before we left to check trail conditions/weather conditions.

Edited by itsallbizz

They do have a number you can call for trail conditions and closures I believe. Not sure what all info they give. I can always give you the weather info. We haven't had any rain lately, so everything should be dry. 

Under normal conditions, the ones we've crossed that had water had maybe 6" of water in them at most. There are also the usual mud holes but nothing deep really, just low spots that hold water. My buddy buried his bike in a rut once but he got out and was good to go. I thought I had a picture of it but it's on my old phone. 

Sucks about tote buddy's bike, hope that never happens again 

6" of water is nothing, some of the stuff we cross has water almost up to the seat. When our bike were sunk we had water over the bars, we hit a hole and that was all she wrote. The rivers around here are sandy and the depth can change over night. We were careless and not paying attention, we had crossed the river several times in several spots with no issues and then h@ly $h!t bike's are under water.