500 EXC-F fender bag

Anyone have any good suggestions for a fender bag for the 500 EXC-F?  I'm trying to find something that will carry the KTM tool pack, a tube of 2 part metal epoxy and not much more.  Can't really judge size by the pictures and can't seem to find any pictures of the bags installed.  Just want to get some weight off my back.

Thanks

If you're talking the back fender on the 2017, don't get too needy. The only support back there is the fender. A 5 lb limit would be reasonable before having to buy a rack.

Thanks for the pic.  I was looking at that one but hard to judge size when they always stuff them to look as big as possible.  Looks nice and low profile on your bike.

Wolman Luggage makes a great product, I have their fender bag mounted on my front fender and it carries one heavy tube and a 12 foot tow strap. The secret is to place the two hooks closest to the fork in the scallops that are molded into the fender to keep it from sliding forward. if you do this it is rock solid and you do not have to cut notches in your front fender to keep the bag from sliding forward. I also mounted a second one to my E12 enduro saddle bags that I purchased from them, I took the hooks off of the fender bag and then laid it across the saddle bags and lashed it too the two large and two small D-rings on the saddle bags. I use this second fender bag as my tool bag, which makes it nice because the only weight on my body is my camel back. Very low profile so when you are jocking your backside around you are not bumping into anything and the fender bag is close to the subframe so again with their lashing system no drilling holes in your fender and no load bouncing around. Trust me I have burned it in or laid it over numerous times and everything stays in place. Down side they are expensive, but as I say buy once cry once!

2004 KTM 450 EXC Racing

Pony Express Style, only thing missing is my four can slim line beverage cooler that goes on top of the tool bag. Who needs a rain slicker,,,,,LOL

Screenshot_20170417-112528.png

On 4/17/2017 at 10:27 AM, Hotcreek said:

Pony Express Style, only thing missing is my four can slim line beverage cooler that goes on top of the tool bag. Who needs a rain slicker,,,,,LOL

Those look awesome! Do they stay put?? Any complaints? Water resistant? I'd be carrying a few basic tools (KTM kit) and a 1.5L fuel bottle in each...

Edited by LS1Steve

They stay in place, the important part is just get the two straps adjusted that deal with your seat there is one strap that goes over the top of the seat (call this one the front one which is the closest to the front of the bike and the second which slides under the rear of the seat) The one that slides under the rear of the seat between the fender and the seat usually just slides in without removing the seat and it stops right at the edge of the seat or to where the whole strap slides under or three quarters depending on the  fit of your seat to the rear fender. Once that is done your gutter hooks connect to the fender to where you want them to fit the width of the fender and then tighten them up. Then run your straps to your frame (One on each side) and then snug them down pulling both saddle bags forward and which then pulls the gutter hooks forward which then stop because your fender gets wider. Once everything is adjusted the way you want it you can take the saddlebags off and on with no further adjustment by just removing the straps from each side of your frame or cinching them back down to the frame and that is with them loaded or empty. They are not waterproof but a couple dry bags for your belongings fixes that, I would also suggest it for your tools to keep them from getting rusty. I was thinking about getting the day tripper bags which are smaller but the ones that I got the E12 bags I figured out that you can cinch them down with compression straps to make them narrower. I carry a small bicycle pump, dual sport mirror and the GoPro clamp which the dual sport mirror and my GoPro camera both use for the ball mount on the handlebars in the saddlebags. I am a Gumby on my bike,,,,LOL and they stay in place, from ghost riding to stepping off of it and laying it down to exit stage left where the bike goes one way and I go another. Both saddle bags can haul quite a bit, I put a blanket in each one per the instruction's before doing the installation of them on my bike for proper positioning. Just remember you need their heat shield to go between the number plate and the muffler so that the load on the muffler side does not flex the number plate down and burn a hole through the number plate and then your saddlebag. They are made out of heavy nylon and I have zero holes in mine, very durable and you can get replacement parts, field repairs are easy if you break a strap, you can pick one of those up anywhere or use para cord. Look up Wolfman Luggage on You tube or go to their website and they have complete instructions for install by Wolfman. Lots of D rings for other bags, fuel bottles or other gear to be attached to them per your own custom attachment,,,i.e. four can beer cooler,,,,LOL. More pictures to come!

• Like 1

Wolfman tool pack and Wolfman fuel bottle pouches mounted on billet rack (rack was a pita to install!). The pack has the KTM tool pouch, JB Weld, set of open end metric, spare levers, nut and bolt kit, wet wipes, paper towel, latex gloves, 1st aid, spare plugs, assorted zip ties, master links,  wire and black tape, and some other stuff I can't think of. I zip tied the bag mounting straps to the rack and mount both bag and fuel bottle to the rear for more butt room or to put a rolled up jacket onto the rack. I must be very alert when swinging my leg over the bike getting on or off it! I wish the rack was bigger and square like the one on my WR instead of tapered and streamlined to the fender like this one, but it works fine. The tabes for my old front fender bag I used on my WR are too narrow to fit the thicker KTM fender, but I have a Zac Speed Recon pack and vest on the way from Slavens. IMG_5733.JPG.2f3c3dd7cd0cf125b0538dc3f15f564f.JPG

• Like 1

So this is how I attached the fender bag to the saddlebags by just taking the gutter hooks off of the fender bag and then just running the straps from the fender bag thru the D rings and back through the buckles on the fender bag and then tighten them down by pulling on them. The straps also act as compression straps on the fender bag.

IMAG3304_BURST002.jpg

IMAG3311.jpg

• Like 1

The fender bag has a lot of tools in it:

A complete 1/4 inch metric socket set which includes deep well and standard sockets

Two 1/4 inch drive extensions that swivel they are four and six inches long

Complete set of metric Allen wrenches

Spare clutch and brake levers

Spare spark plug

Spark plug socket

One Phillips screw driver

One standard blade screw driver

Air gauge

Three tire irons one is a box end wrench for loosening the axle spindle nut

Needle nose pliers

Side cutter pliers

Zip ties

Four box end metric wrenches

Also maybe the kitchen sink

Edited by Hotcreek
Missed and item in the tools list
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hotcreek said:

How do you like the endure tank bag, I have been thinking about getting one.

I like it a lot. Carries just what I need. I hard wired 12 volt dual USB ports inside the bag for charging all my gadgets. Phone, camera's, helmet, flashlight and such. You can see the wire plugging into it by the tank cap vent tube. It uses the same connector as my battery tender. Just unplug tank bag and plug in the tender. I also took a piece of thin plastic and cut it to fit the walls inside. Without it the top does begin to sage after some time. Not a really big deal but it works nice for me.  

• Like 1

I like a lot of the rear bags here  :thumbsup:, but I am too old or out of shape to lift my leg ever so higher to get over the bag onto my bike, especially when tired  It would have to be a front fender bag for me and they suck.. so I carry my tools and such in my camble back bag

On 4/15/2017 at 8:22 PM, brute448 said:

i have the wolfman day trippers and man they kick arse! 

Hey I just ordered and received a set, great bags! One question though... On the right side lower strap, I can see where you ran the strap, and confirmed on my bike that this seems the only viable frame point to tie to. Seems very close to the exhaust pipe though, no? Any issues with the nylon melting? There is some clearance but not much! I actually ordered some 1" heat protective sleeves that I found to protect the nylon straps.

Edited by LS1Steve
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 5:42 PM, Burnrider said:

If you're talking the back fender on the 2017, don't get too needy. The only support back there is the fender. A 5 lb limit would be reasonable before having to buy a rack.

That is normal for the strap to be that close to the exhaust on the right side, just make sure you have the heat shield from Wolfman for the muffler. It is a spacer between the muffler and number plate so that your bag with cargo in it does not flex the number plate down and touch the muffler and burn a hole through it and then your bag. Bigbob you should try their fender bag, it does stay in place and their Day Tripper saddlebags are very slim profile so that you can swing your leg over the seat. If you don't like them I can guarantee that you can turn around and sell them because riders like them. The reason I went with their bigger saddlebags is that my friends and I are riding from Montrose, Colorado to Moab, Utah which is 160 miles one way. So we are packing for bear, because if we break down between towns in the backcountry there ain't no cell phone service.