How much is it to install a new sleeve liner?

This is for a 2001 KX85-after damaging the liner I need to have a new sleeve installed or buy an entirely new cylinder. How much do machine shops typically charge to install a new liner if I bring it the liner to them? 

Get it replated. M/T and others can usually repair a damaged barrel no problem.  Do not have a sleeve installed.

To install a sleeve, the shop must be experienced, they have to line it up just right,  Remove the old sleeve, get the new one in, bore it, hone it. Then once done and your new piston fitted, when the piston wears out, you have to go oversize as the sleeve wears nearly as fast as the piston. A plating will last many pistons before it needs attention.

• Like 2

Let's try this again for those who don't read:

This is for a 2001 KX85-after damaging the liner I need to have a new sleeve installed or buy an entirely new cylinder. How much do machine shops typically charge to install a new liner if I bring it the liner to them? 

9 minutes ago, mikesbaron said:

Is there anyone with an IQ above 50 that can give me an idea on how much it costs to install a new cylinder sleeve? 

What is the attitude about?  Sleeving is a stupid idea.  If your cylinder is sleeved get a core and have it replated.  If you already bought the sleeve, cut your losses and start over with a new cylinder.

Its going to cost more than a replate to properly install a sleeve.  They wear out rapidly and are prone to scuffing and seizure.  Oversize top ends are hard to find and more expensive.  And you think we're stupid?

• Like 2

Whatever it costs, it isn't worth it for a modern powervalved 2stroke. It will run hotter, wear faster, weigh more, and your powervalve will need to be cut down with each rebore. I can't think of any benefits. When you find out how much it is, let us know. So we don't look so stupid in front of the next guy that asks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikesbaron said:

Is there anyone with an IQ above 50 that can give me an idea on how much it costs to install a new cylinder sleeve? 

Nice comment.:thumbsdn: You will go far.

• Like 3

sleeved cylinders aren't the end of the world, even in modern bikes. just have the sleeve bored out and get an oversize piston, thats the cheapest option. Having a new sleeve installed by someone such as LA sleeve will be about $350, boring and matching to an oversize piston usually cost about $100

On 4/12/2017 at 2:37 PM, mikesbaron said:

if your IQ was above 50 you would call a place that actually does it instead of asking on a forum.

• Like 2

For future posters...

The stock cylinder was plated. Was the OP's cylinder plated or did someone later install a "SLEEVE"? We are not sure. The OP is not distinct. He mentions a"liner". "WE" are not used to seeing the term liner. When asking "US" about plated or sleeved cylinders, please state plated or sleeved.

Again, please clearly state the current condition of the cylinder in question. And finally, try to stay hip with the lingo. Some of us cool cats will give you some great advice on options. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Is that what you charge?  I don't see getting a quality job done for that price.  Have to bore the jug to fit the sleeve, press the sleeve in and then port the sleeve.  A quality sleeve has ports already cut in but they will still require blending and matching to the cylinder.

The best sleeve job on earth still sucks compared to a plated cylinder.  Less wear resistance, less heat transfer.  Performance might equal a plated cylinder if the porting is done perfectly but it is likely that you will end up with somewhat diminished performance.

Is that what you charge?  I don't see getting a quality job done for that price.  Have to bore the jug to fit the sleeve, press the sleeve in and then port the sleeve.  A quality sleeve has ports already cut in but they will still require blending and matching to the cylinder.
The best sleeve job on earth still sucks compared to a plated cylinder.  Less wear resistance, less heat transfer.  Performance might equal a plated cylinder if the porting is done perfectly but it is likely that you will end up with somewhat diminished performance.

Nope that is what my guy charges most people. He did my yz80 and it was like ten bucks plus shipping. I worked for him for about ten years so that may help. Pretty sure he loses money on me that why I guessed 100 and asked for a PM. But he is cranky Joe, Google him. He does quality work and champers ports and all that good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using ThumperTalk mobile app

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:37 PM, mikesbaron said:

if you had an IQ above 50, or even less, you would know your cylinder is plated and that plating is way cheaper than having a sleeve installed, also that a plated cylinder has numerous benefits over a sleeve.  I cant believe people actually offered you the answer to your question.

if you had an IQ above 50, or even less, you would know your cylinder is plated and that plating is way cheaper than having a sleeve installed, also that a plated cylinder has numerous benefits over a sleeve.  I cant believe people actually offered you the answer to your question.

I offered the answer because I am having mine sleeved. I am having mine sleeved so I can bore it out latter.

32 minutes ago, dirtbeater said:

I offered the answer because I am having mine sleeved. I am having mine sleeved so I can bore it out latter.

Will you have to cut the powervalve down on your upcoming resize?