Tires for Crosstimbers Trails - Oklahoma

Hey Thumpers,

I am new to dirt riding.  I picked up a Honda230F for some trail riding out at Crosstimbers (Draper Lake, Oklahoma).  

These trails seem to have it all, rocky hill climbs, some sand up top and red clay mud holes here and there.  So my question is, what kind of tire would suit me best for this area?  Knobby, Trials, Hybrid?  

Honestly, it's the rocky hill climbs that intimidate me the most.  

For those not familiar with the area, it's red dirt clay, but they shut the trails down when wet.  So mostly hard dry clay.

I am not looking to be super moto guy racing all over the place.  I just want the safest most comfortable tire to get my old butt up and around.  I have a feeling these stock knobbies aren't the best choice.

If wet red clay all Trials tires not working for us.What you described dry same is we ride. Real Trials tire works best, but for us flat tires all the time. We love the MT43 it is cheating and super long lasting.You need run 4mm Thick tube.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input BTR.   I have been leaning towards the MT43.  I have read just about every post on tires I can find.  

I suppose I was just worried a little because this is Oklahoma and we a known for our red clay.  I keep seeing that the MT43 won't do well in the wet red clay.  I expect that I will have to push through some big red clay puddles, but in general most of the trails will be dry.  So as long as they will clean out reasonably quickly, then I don't think it will be an issue.

I like the idea of a tire that handles rocky stuff.  It's the steep rocky hill climbs that pucker my butt up.

Anyone out there that rides the Lake Draper Trails use MT43's?  

This year we had more rain in ten years. I do have a spare wheel knobby tire ready. Never had to use it as every time it rained,we always wait a day to ride.So what little wet clay it was fine.Just saying you have red clay mud everywhere long distance forget the Trials tires. Till summer. We are able to idle up rock ledges with this tire cheating all the way up,with very little effort.