2015 350RR Starter

Anyone know if our Beta starters are same as anything else?

My 2015 350 RR is making some very sad noises from the starter when engaged, and I have 4 days of riding left here at Red River Motorcycle Trails.

Hopefully thats is and its not the flywheel/engine side....going to pull starter now.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Cancel that. Appears starter is fine but an idler or bendix type part has failed. Upon re-installing the starter it worked, with the horrible noise, for a few tries then went to WHIRRRR and thats it.

Looking at the book there is an idler and a clutch type deal that I think has given up on me.

Probably from a few backfires when the intake boot was lose, and just this trip it was hard starting until I changed the spark plug. Started fine but before that it was coughing a bit as it tried to start, and I am sure that damaged something in there.

Time to re-practrice kick starting!!

Greg

• Like 1

Cancel that. Appears starter is fine but an idler or bendix type part has failed. Upon re-installing the starter it worked, with the horrible noise, for a few tries then went to WHIRRRR and thats it.

Looking at the book there is an idler and a clutch type deal that I think has given up on me.

Probably from a few backfires when the intake boot was lose, and just this trip it was hard starting until I changed the spark plug. Started fine but before that it was coughing a bit as it tried to start, and I am sure that damaged something in there.

Time to re-practrice kick starting!!

Greg

Bummer. Curious though: was there enough lube in the case when you pulled the cover, or had it run dry? This sounds very unusual.

Our XT had a bearing squeal from the starter. Had the dealer tear it apart and after a cleaning/lube the squeal quit after about the 10th. restart.

I havent pulled side cover yet. Im at camp and gasket is on backorder. I have oil pump gears, clutch, water pump to install but not tearin it apart until I have the gaskets. Starter looks new. Smooth, bushings tight, etc. It spins fine, it whats inside thats not engaging. I just got back from 6 mile ride and all is fine. I changed trans fluid again in case parts were laying in there. Had usual metal on drain plug but nothing big or new.

1 hour ago, vwprostock said:

I havent pulled side cover yet. Im at camp and gasket is on backorder. I have oil pump gears, clutch, water pump to install but not tearin it apart until I have the gaskets. Starter looks new. Smooth, bushings tight, etc. It spins fine, it whats inside thats not engaging. I just got back from 6 mile ride and all is fine. I changed trans fluid again in case parts were laying in there. Had usual metal on drain plug but nothing big or new.

I don't think any shavings could get to the trans, since the bendix is in the alternator chamber, isolated from anything else. It's great that the RR comes with a kicker so you can still enjoy the daily rides! Seems to me that it would be worth the couple of extra lbs and a few c-notes to add the insurance of a kicker kit to an XT. 

Edited by Old Plonker

Back home and unloaded and powerwashed the fleet. I am off of work tomorrow so I plan n tearing into the bike.

Looking at diagrams, it appears either the "torque limiter" or "idler gear" has failed me. 

The starter simply WHIRRS nicely now and makes zero engagement or turning of the engine, so something is amiss...

Wasn't planning on taking clutch basket off for my oil pump gear/water pump upgrade/steel and friction replacement project but hey...I as headed into that side of the engine anyway so we shall see.

Rode a ton more kick starting it, and that was semi fine, but when you are touring a 12 yr old and a rookie better half that requires me on and off th bike a ton, it got annoying not having e-start...oh the yuppie I have become!!! :-)

• Like 2

Took the bike apart and appears my issue is the "free wheel" that is a one way clutch within the primary gear on the crankshaft.

Hopefully not too hard to obtain, but the startr spins fine and you can watch all three gears spin properly when you hot the button, but the crank doesn't move.

• Like 1

Put a bow on this one. The culprit was the cam clutch, or also known as a sprag inside the primary gear.

Our starters spin a gear, that spins a gear, that spins a gear on the crankshaft. Inside the primary gear on the crank lives this sprag. I am 90% sure mine was damaged/hurt over time back when my intake boot worked its way lose and the bike became hard to start, coughing back now and then.

Fast forward a year later, she starts getting hard to start again, coughing back again, so I check air boots, filter, etc and see no issue, and figure what the hell, I have a spark plug, so I change it and its starting perfect for a day and then out of the bluewhen e-starting it starts making an odd, grinding-ish noise.

To replace this piece you pull the clutch cover, clutch basket, inner clutch cover,(all easy). But then you must pull the counter balance shaft which requires the ignition side cover to come off. Then pull the primary gear that is pressed on a taper fit of the crank. I found constant pressure with a 2 jaw puller and some heat from my decent size butane torch and all at once...POP..gear comes off. Remove snap ring, drop old cam clutch out, drop new one in, reverse procedure.

All in all if your bike starts acting a tad funny when e-starting, don't let it go, get it fixed before this happens. Wasn't hard, but wasn't cake either.

20170430_175214.jpg

Good to see you fixed this. Mines still going strong but I never had the backfire issues either. The bikes are not that hard to work on really the hardest part is the cramped top end in the frame and having to pull the engine to do a top end.