It's starting to get warm in NY now. So I took the bike I haven't touched all winter out last week. Bike is running like shit, had to run it on half choke for about 5 minutes.It seems lean and was a whole quart low on oil!! The bike has about 10,000k and an mrd exhaust 3x3 mod w/K&N filter. Filter looks spotless,no oil leaks but notice a lot of carbon around the exhaust tip.Thinking of getting, rings, valve seals,head gasket, and setting valve clearance and retune my carb and hope for the best.

I haven't done any maintenance on a dirt bike an about 18 years. Since I changed piston and rings on my KX125.  This is going to be interesting. Any advice on other things I should do when I open this thing up or things I should change.

**and my chain is so far stretched I had to remove a link??

How do you know it's 1 qt low on oil?Did you check the level before starting?

Have you considered that at least the pilot circuit may be clogged due to stale fuel if left untreated over the winter?

The black soot at the tail pipe can be a sign of poor carburetion.If it only runs on choke after warmup it is probably loading up.

10K miles is pretty young to be needing a top end rebuild for a drz.Did you check cyl. leakdown and compression,cam timing and valve clearances to know for sure?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bumtarder said:

How do you know it's 1 qt low on oil?Did you check the level before starting?

no, I let it run for a few minutes, then noticed it wasn't even on the dipstick

Have you considered that at least the pilot circuit may be clogged due to stale fuel if left untreated over the winter?

not really,  possible, but I don't believe this is the case.

The black soot at the tail pipe can be a sign of poor carburetion.If it only runs on choke after warmup it is probably loading up?

no ,It ran better after when it warmed up. But the carb is definately out of whack.

10K miles is pretty young to be needing a top end rebuild for a drz.Did you check cyl. leakdown and compression,cam timing and valve clearances to know for sure?

no, but this is what I'm looking for.

you know some good links to walk me through this?

Bought this bike off a father who didn't want his 17 and 19 year old  riding it on the streets.

Had tred showing on the rear tire, bad brakes, and the clutch was on its last leg.

It'll break and destroy the engine case before it can wreck the sprockets if it that bad. HINT-HINT = buy a new set before any of this happens . 

PS , yes your pilot circuit is plugged/partially plugged , that IS why you have to run it on choke and it runs like crap , no getting around it . 

At 10k miles it's not in need of a rebuild , far from it , unless the K&N left enough dirt past that it wiped out the rings .

• Like 1