Fuel Octane in xtrainer or 2 stroke RR's

I guess octane discussion is like an oil thread.

The voice in my head says, walk way, walk away.

I guess octane discussion is like an oil thread.

The voice in my head says, walk way, walk away.

Agree, I may state my belief and findings, but then walk away.  I refuse to get dragged in to any on-line debates/arguments/battles.  Got better things to do with my time and energy, like ride.

Where I live (western NY) ethanol-free 91 octane is pretty commonly available for a slight premium over 10% e-gas.  I use that for all outdoor power equipment (bikes, chainsaws, weedeaters) except mowers when we are on them steadily during the summer.  The small amount of extra $$ is well worth it to me as preventive e-maintenance.

The XT isn't terribly high compression and hasn't yet filed any complaints about 91 e-free.

hey pete, shell 91 is what most people in my and your riding area use

I also use Shell 91.

Ever since I started driving a diesel truck, I noticed the Shell Diesel gets way better fuel mileage than say Esso.

Did some mileage runs in the car with it, and the gas was the same, so I just try to fill at Shell even though it may cost more.

Surely more mileage means better fuel with less water in it.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:07 AM, KR TX said:

I run 100 Aviation fuel I get for $3.50/ gal. Mixed 80:1 with Amsoil Saber. Clean, strong motor, absolutely no pipe splooge whatsoever since day one on stock '15 250XCW..110.4hrs/1878miles on it now and top end as well as power valve looks good. Top end and rings will be done soon for good measure but clearly not needed at this point. Weekend warrior for most part but run seasonal harescramble series through spring and fall. Lots of low end log hopping and cross training rides in between. Not for everyone for sure. My riding buddies think I'm crazy but until they prove it, I'm sticking with my system.

Note that the 100LL Aviation gasoline contains a good deal of lead which also adds to the lubrication qualities. Great stuff - I run it in all my bikes (w/o cat's that is) and all my power equipment.

-t

I ran 87 in my XT. I switched up to 92 for no real reason. Bike had more power, like a lot more. I have never noticed this in any bike I have ever ridden or car or anything. Why now? Who knows?

Try 112 racing fuel and see what it does.

Note that the 100LL Aviation gasoline contains a good deal of lead which also adds to the lubrication qualities. Great stuff - I run it in all my bikes (w/o cat's that is) and all my power equipment.

-t

[/quote

When I used to fly planes, 100 LL was all I used never thought about it for small engines.

Min 91 octane.dont need to go higher than 94.more power with 91.race fuel is good for the motor and you'll get a couple extra ponies as well but not worth it unless you can get it cheap.avgas for aircraft is designed for high altitude and cool temperatures so your bike won't run well in warm temperatures and near sea level.

If I'm next to a no ethanol station I get that.. if not I get premium..It's not a big deal. My bike runs good with both.There isn't a noticeable difference. Idk maybe I should make 2 cans of mix and compare again. I haven't used race gas like I did with my cr honda. I'd go half half race gas and premium and it did run better. Maybe I should try that again with my Beta to try..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider