Rico Dolores update?

Anyone heard anything more.  The conditions there are still very snowed in, probably a mess till late summer.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Nobody wants to share public lands it seems -- especially with us, IMO. 

Single track motorized use is in squarely in the crosshairs of the environmental lobbyand BHA is leading the charge.

From what I can tell, BHA is more a part of the Environmental Lobby than they are real sportsmen.  

Read this for more information on BHA -- where they get their funding and the backgrounds of their leadership:

https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

Thanks for keeping us informed.

20 minutes ago, mrgem said:

Nobody wants to share public lands it seems -- especially with us, IMO. 

Single track motorized use is in squarely in the crosshairs of the environmental lobbyand BHA is leading the charge.

From what I can tell, BHA is more a part of the Environmental Lobby than they are real sportsmen.  

Read this for more information on BHA -- where they get their funding and the backgrounds of their leadership:

https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

Thanks for keeping us informed.

That area has been contentious for a long time.  Fortunately, in talking to the District Ranger, he is somewhat sympathetic to the dirt bike access.  Supposedly a decision is due in June, but the last time I talked to him he indicated it could be the end of the year.  This is a bellweather for lots of what can happen in the west, it is worth keeping an eye on, and for me being just a couple hours away it is critical.

• Like 2

Big Green has been emboldened by their recent wins over motorized access in several court cases. A lot of the energy comes from the fact that they made the same claims (failure to comply with NEPA before designating trails as motorized) and won against the Forest Service in the Pike/San Isabel Forest -- resulting in an order to close more than 500 miles of trails and roads that had been in use for many decades.

https://summitcountyvoice.com/2011/01/31/forest-service-sued-over-roads-on-pike-san-isabel-nf/

This sets a bad precedent and we all need to stay informed and make sure we keep our needs and rights in the forefront of DC's consciousness.

On 4/13/2017 at 9:00 AM, mrgem said:

A lot of the energy comes from the fact that they made the same claims (failure to comply with NEPA before designating trails as motorized) and won against the Forest Service in the Pike/San Isabel Forest -- resulting in an order to close more than 500 miles of trails and roads that had been in use for many decades.

The PSI issue is on my home turf and what you say isn't exactly true!!  Yes there was a lawsuit, and yes FS can't prove NEPA compliance (even though it was done), but the greenies didn't win...the FS (with counsel) decided it would be better to make a monetary settlement and then do their diligence, but no 500 miles have been closed.  Threatened, yes, but I don't expect 500 miles to be closed.

The whole damn thing is ridiculous though...the basis for the greenie's lawsuit was about the Mexican Spotted Owl and the Preble Jumping Mouse.  And how much friggin money is being wasted by all parties due to this??  Millions I'm sure. :foul:

On 4/13/2017 at 9:00 AM, mrgem said:

Big Green has been emboldened by their recent wins over motorized access in several court cases. A lot of the energy comes from the fact that they made the same claims (failure to comply with NEPA before designating trails as motorized) and won against the Forest Service in the Pike/San Isabel Forest -- resulting in an order to close more than 500 miles of trails and roads that had been in use for many decades.

https://summitcountyvoice.com/2011/01/31/forest-service-sued-over-roads-on-pike-san-isabel-nf/

This sets a bad precedent and we all need to stay informed and make sure we keep our needs and rights in the forefront of DC's consciousness.

I think we are all in heated agreement on this.

According to The Park County paper, the Flume (Dec, 30, 2016): 

"A federal lawsuit, filed in January 2011 and settled in November 2015, has forced changes in road use in each of six ranger districts of Pueblo-based Pike-San Isabel National Forest.

Over 500 road miles are now or will be seasonally closed in the first months of the year; 33 percent, or about 165 miles, are in the Fairplay-based South Park Ranger District.

What it means to forest visitors is that, beginning in January in Park County, and December in neighboring counties, popular routes that traverse big game winter range will be closed for up to five and a half months each year.

A small portion of the 500 road miles will be permanently closed because the areas are considered semi-primitive, non-motorized, recreation areas; or the roads are in an area where endangered species live; or they are social, unauthorized, non-system roads created by forest visitors."

Want to set the record straight. I stand corrected on the "permanently closed" statement. Most of the trails impacted will be seasonally closed to protect wildlife. Just the same, shutting down a trail or road for 5 months a year is concerning and possibly a first step towards permanent closure in my view. We opwn a house  in Park County and I also own property down in Chaffee, where I ride during the cold months. Trails in both will be impacted.

The "small portion" alluded to in the article seems to be a bit imprecise. I continue to look for specific definition but have not found a mileage number that seems authoritative.  I've read reports that say over 100 miles will be closed permanently -- but who knows if that is correct? 

My main point is that ANY closure is part of an alarming trend towards banning motorized recreation. It seems that whenever closure is discussed -- it is the motorcycle, 4x4s, and 4-wheeler recreationists who are the primary targets.  Why the greenies  are not concerned about foot, horseback and bicycle use during migration and breeding seasons is a mystery. 

Another point: When discussing the challenges presented by this settlement recently, the Ranger in Fairplay (South Park RD) expressed frustration and concern as to how they were going to be able to enforce these closures.  He was concerned about the fact that he was being asked to enforce the terms of the settlement with no additional resources. 

On 4/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Anyone heard anything more.  The conditions there are still very snowed in, probably a mess till late summer.

I was riding some of the lower trails up West Mancos Road a couple weeks ago and they were still a mess.  I went up the road past Transfer Campground and that part of the road was still covered in snow.   I'd imagine that nothing over there is going to be rideable for a while.  On top of that we are supposed to get 8-11 inches of snow tonight above 9k feet.  

• Like 2

Due to the terrain and other factors I'll bet the Rico Dolores area stuff isn't rideable for quite awhile yet.  We were hoping to hit Mancos and the other way, Devil Mountain, after Memorial Day.

IMG_2045.JPG
Off topic but I Found this sign today in Forest Lakes.
Any Info or a link to a map would be great. Does this connect to the Bear Creek over on Middle Mountain?

On 5/21/2017 at 7:39 PM, kxlubber said:

IMG_2045.JPG
Off topic but I Found this sign today in Forest Lakes.
Any Info or a link to a map would be great. Does this connect to the Bear Creek over on Middle Mountain?

No it doesn't connect to any of the trails on Middle Mountain.  That trail actually connects over to Beaver Meadows.  I think that sign is at the end of Pine Tree Drive in Forest Lakes.  You used to be able to ride that trail before they re-did the travel management plan in 2011 or so.  The trail that goes to Beaver Meadows from Forest Lakes is up off of Hilltop Drive at the top of the subdivision.  It's something like 8-9 miles over to one of the roads at Beaver Meadows.  I used to see plenty of elk on that trail.  It's pretty fun and there aren't any technical spots on it.  Take Hilltop Drive to Pine Ridge Drive.  Shortly after it turns to dirt, if you're paying close attention, you'll see a road off to your left, stay straight.  You'll go down a hill and at the bottom there is a turn to the right, don't take that, stay to the left.  Keep going straight and the road will begin to narrow after a few miles into an ATV width trail. You'll have to open a gate, usually, to get on the trail.    

I just talked to the ranger.  Things are pretty muddy right now and still very snowy above 9k, 10k and above is mostly impassable.  I guess its lower elevations still for a couple weeks or so.  He wasn't sure about deadfall, but I'll bet there's a bunch.

We've pretty much cleared all deadfall from everything that isn't snowed in, and it isn't very much. Stoner Mesa is good to go but thats about it. Not even going back up there to look for another couple weeks. 

4 hours ago, Familymann said:

We've pretty much cleared all deadfall from everything that isn't snowed in, and it isn't very much. Stoner Mesa is good to go but thats about it. Not even going back up there to look for another couple weeks. 

Thanks.  I figured that trail was good, but I'll bet the rest is a mess.  I figure we might head over there in a couple weeks, will take a saw with for sure.

BTW, are you with that club San Juan Trail Riders?  I've thought about joining, but my other experience with a club wasn't very good, it was a 4wd club, Rock Garden 4 Wheelers.  That club is now defunct due to a high number of idiots.  I know SJTR is a bunch of good people, though. ;)  There's also that bunch from the Ophir/T-ride area I've run into before, the ones I've talked to seem AOK.

20 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Thanks.  I figured that trail was good, but I'll bet the rest is a mess.  I figure we might head over there in a couple weeks, will take a saw with for sure.

BTW, are you with that club San Juan Trail Riders?  I've thought about joining, but my other experience with a club wasn't very good, it was a 4wd club, Rock Garden 4 Wheelers.  That club is now defunct due to a high number of idiots.  I know SJTR is a bunch of good people, though. ;)  There's also that bunch from the Ophir/T-ride area I've run into before, the ones I've talked to seem AOK.

I'm with the telluride ophir crew. We are always looking for more help so if you'd like I can send a message the next time we are heading out to clear. Might hit some lower stuff tomorrow, gold run, as far up grindstone and little bear as we can get. 

IMG_3366.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Familymann said:

I'm with the telluride ophir crew. We are always looking for more help so if you'd like I can send a message the next time we are heading out to clear. Might hit some lower stuff tomorrow, gold run, as far up grindstone and little bear as we can get. 

IMG_3366.JPG

Definitely.  Last time we were there last Sept. we ran into a guy solo on a 6 Days from your crew.  He said he rides over there a couple times a week.  Nice guy.

5 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Definitely.  Last time we were there last Sept. we ran into a guy solo on a 6 Days from your crew.  He said he rides over there a couple times a week.  Nice guy.

I'm sure that was Tommy T, and he is a nice guy! Rides more than almost anybody i know, the lucky SOB!! 

9 minutes ago, Familymann said:

I'm sure that was Tommy T, and he is a nice guy! Rides more than almost anybody i know, the lucky SOB!! 

He was funny.  We were just chilling along the side of I think Eagle Peak trail, I wasn't feeling that great that day and was tired from riding my XR250R on that trail.  He said he was wondering if it was tough riding that fairly heavy bike there, that's why I was resting. :lol:  Its usually not too bad, I was just feeling the altitude that day, it doesn't get easier at my age.

Rode around Echo Basin and West Mancos the past couple of days.  The Aspen Loop ATV trail is still snowed in about 3-4 miles up from where the Goloconda and Aspen Spur trails intersect it.  The Aspen Spur trail is snowed in at about 10,300 (that's the photo I attached)  Even the main road heading up to Windy Pass is snowed in a mile or two up from the big meadow that the road splits.   I rode Goloconda Trail down to the river, but there was no way I was going to cross the river, it was running way too high and fast for me to think about crossing it, and I could see that the trails going uphill on the other side of the river were still snowed in (both north facing).       

Over at Echo Basin I was able to ride Ramparts Loop (no downed trees).  I tried riding Coyote Park South uphill from FS Road  329 to FS Road 328C,  but quickly ran into a few downed trees, which were waist high, and I didn't bring my saw.  I rode some of the Box Canyon Spur Trail off of FS Road 331, but again ran into some downed trees.  Seems that there is more snow on the ground still this year than last year.  Most everything above 10, 000 feet or so is still snowed in, unless it is south facing or gets all day sun.     

IMG_1463.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 10:48 AM, joetroop30 said:

Rode around Echo Basin and West Mancos the past couple of days.  The Aspen Loop ATV trail is still snowed in about 3-4 miles up from where the Goloconda and Aspen Spur trails intersect it.  The Aspen Spur trail is snowed in at about 10,300 (that's the photo I attached)  Even the main road heading up to Windy Pass is snowed in a mile or two up from the big meadow that the road splits.   I rode Goloconda Trail down to the river, but there was no way I was going to cross the river, it was running way too high and fast for me to think about crossing it, and I could see that the trails going uphill on the other side of the river were still snowed in (both north facing).       

Over at Echo Basin I was able to ride Ramparts Loop (no downed trees).  I tried riding Coyote Park South uphill from FS Road  329 to FS Road 328C,  but quickly ran into a few downed trees, which were waist high, and I didn't bring my saw.  I rode some of the Box Canyon Spur Trail off of FS Road 331, but again ran into some downed trees.  Seems that there is more snow on the ground still this year than last year.  Most everything above 10, 000 feet or so is still snowed in, unless it is south facing or gets all day sun.     

IMG_1463.JPG

My brother and I are planning to ride the Rico and Mancos area around July 4. Do you think the snow will be off and the trails clear by then?