Ttr 125 problems

(This is my first dirt bike so I only know the basics, please bear with me) So I bought a used 2006 ttr 125 a few weeks ago. It had a ticking noise from what sounded like the top end of the engine so I brought it to a shop to have it looked at. They said it might be the cam shaft or belt, I don't remember which. They said it might be broken and either I could do it myself or they could. Also they said it might need a new rear rim, seeing as my spokes are coming loose. I must not have looked at all these things when I went to buy the bike. Now I'm wondering if these repairs are even worth keeping the bike. Is it pretty difficult to replace the cam or should I just have the shop do it?

I would first check to see if the valves are properly adjusted.  If out of adjustment, it will make a tapping noise.  Doubt it is the cam.  And there are no belts, just a cam chain, that may make some noise if it is loose, but they usually have an automatic tensioner.  If the cam, cam chain, or a valve was broken, the engine wouldn't run.  As for the spokes, probably just need to tighten them.  They do come loose.  Usually only replace the rim if its badly bent it cracked.  

Sounds to me like your shop is trying to take advantage of you, but I may be wrong.

Like I said I would have to talk to the guy again about what they said was broke with the cam. With the spokes I had tightened and tried them and they took a look at the rim and said the spokes looked like they were sort of boring out the holes. As for the shop being dishonest I have 2 friends who race motocross and that is the only shop that they get their work done. I think the trouble is me telling the problems wrong

If the wheel is ridden enough with loose spokes it can elongate the holes at the hub.  That is probably what has happened.

I suggest you either check valve lash or have someone do it for you.

New will be expensive.  The shop can order a new hub and rebuild for you if they cannot true it first.   I would expect this to be in the $250-350 range as you are around $200 (list price) in parts plus labor.  You may be able to find a used wheel on ebay.  You'll just want to have good pictures of the hub and the spoke holes to ensure that the wheel has been taken care of.  This is just assuming your hub is beyond hope.

Your first experience with this shop did not seem like they were very helpful.  They should have been able to give you a plan of action with costs on the services they could provide for you.  Unfortunately, with bikes like these they really are not worth putting a lot of professional $s into.  I would think they would check and adjust the valves for $40.

They called me yesterday as he didn't have the total parts and labor costs figured out when I had posted originally. They gave me the costs and what they would do with it. I had a friend who races motorcross check the valves. He adjusted them and it still clicks. So the shop said it will be about $60 total to replace the cam chain tensioner. Oh and thanks for the help when I couldn't get it started. It was the choke circuit like you had said. :)

Cam tensioner is list price $51 and is easy to replace.  It is easy to pull and check to see if it is functioning properly.  If they are telling you it needs to be replaced for $60 then I am assuming that is the cause of the ticking - the chain has slack and is being noisy.  When the valves were checked I would expect that slack in the chain would have been uncovered too as the upper cover to check timing marks would be removed and easy access to the chain.  Did the friend that checked the values tell you the gap for both intake and exhaust?

Edited by freebird65

Yeah my friend did, it was a few weeks ago but they matched what the manual said. Now with the rims and everything these repairs are half of what I paid for the bike. My mechanic said that it has taken a lot of abuse and I am worried about the millions of other things that could go wrong with it. I am considering cutting my losses and selling it. It runs now and I think I could get equal what I paid for. This is just a shit hole that I'm in with this thing

yes, that is the issue with any used bike.  Especially if you have to pay others to do work.  If the rear hub is bad then I'd at least check to see if you can find a replacement on ebay.  You just need to try and ensure the hub does not have issues so close up pictures of it are needed - bot the inside and outside view of the holes at the hub.

Has the shop told you that the tensioner is bad?  It has 2 bolts and a gasket.  The friend that checked the valves should be able to change that easily if it really is bad.

I could ask my friend but he doesn't like to work on other people's bikes a ton, No he isn't an &%$#@! he is just that type of guy. Even if I find a new hub and everything seems good, it could just blow up next week or even tomorrow. This is such a terrible start for a guy's first dirt bike

If you can use an 8mm socket then you can replace the tensioner - but at $60 for part and labor that is not too bad from the shop either.

It is just a learning process.  With any used bike you have to factor in pricing on a worse case scenario for repairs.  You know now to check hubs on the next bike you look at.  If the wheels have tons of side-to-side play due to loose spokes then that should also tell you that the owner probably didn't care much about maintenance.  A well maintained machine will run a great while.  Something that has been abused will be a money pit.

A friend that is knowledgeable in bikes is also a good resource when considering a used bike.

I think the shop can give you a better analysis on it.  You said they told you it had been ridden hard.  Let's assume that the cam tensioner takes care of the ticking concern.  Other possible expenses are wheel bearings ($20 per wheel), swing arm bearings ($20),  clutch plates (say $100 parts+labor if you can't do yourself), top end kit ($120 +labor) cables, steering tube bearings, etc.  I doubt it will be worth ever splitting the cases for bottom end rebuild.

Is this a 125L (large wheel) model?

How much do you have into it now?  May be a good learning project if you can find a manual download and have some mechanical aptitude.

I'll have 600 in it by the time the cam tensioner is fixed. That is over half of what I paid for the bike. Sure I would like to learn how to do my own work but I think starting with a bike that has this many problems is not the way to go. Just by having it for a few weeks I have already learned a lot about how it works and how to maintain it and do basic repairs. I think these repairs and any other possible ones are just over my head, and having the shop do those would be outrageous. I think I just need to find a new bike, like you said I now know what to look for. It all is really the luck of the draw. I could have bought a perfectly good used bike, or it could be a pile just like mine is. It really is a gamble, I could dump all this money into the repairs and it could last a while, or something else could break. But I think I'm gonna go the safe route and sell it. I only got a part time job and I gotta pay for my own stuff so it isn't like I can get a brand new bike. Once I get a real job this summer maybe I can think about a newer bike. Guess I will see

• Like 1

I'll have 600 in it by the time the cam tensioner is fixed. That is over half of what I paid for the bike. Sure I would like to learn how to do my own work but I think starting with a bike that has this many problems is not the way to go. Just by having it for a few weeks I have already learned a lot about how it works and how to maintain it and do basic repairs. I think these repairs and any other possible ones are just over my head, and having the shop do those would be outrageous. I think I just need to find a new bike, like you said I now know what to look for. It all is really the luck of the draw. I could have bought a perfectly good used bike, or it could be a pile just like mine is. It really is a gamble, I could dump all this money into the repairs and it could last a while, or something else could break. But I think I'm gonna go the safe route and sell it. I only got a part time job and I gotta pay for my own stuff so it isn't like I can get a brand new bike. Once I get a real job this summer maybe I can think about a newer bike. Guess I will see

Unfortunately, you really can't own a used bike and pay others to work on it. You can have a $1,000 repair in one visit to the dealer.

The way you gain experience and learn is to do your own work on older cheap bikes. There is a youtube video on most procedures.

So are you saying I should keep this bike and work on it myself? Because I worked on it a lot but some of the stuff was too out of my knowledge. But I see your point with the problems with not doing your own work. Thanks for the tips though

I think there is no harm keeping the bike and trying to work on it.  You say you have a friend that may be willing to help - that is a plus.

• Like 1