LCL full tear....surgery required?

Hi there,  about 2 1/2 weeks ago I had a pretty good get-off which banged my knee up pretty good.  Long story short,  had MRI and met with athletic Dr. yesterday to look over results.  Everything looks ok for the most part, a little swelling and some bone bruising.  The LCL on the other had looks to be completely torn.  The Dr. then told me that to have surgery on the LCL alone wasn't really required, but that if there was other damage they would then surgically repair everything.  He said the LCL ends would "find" each other and mend themselves.   He had one of the local universities volleyball physical therapists sitting in and she seemingly agreed.  He 'scribed a brace and said it would be ok to attempt to ride if I took it easy.  Told me to check back with him in a week or two and keep him updated.

Does this sound like legit advice/diagnosis?  I don't know anyone who has had just an LCL injury but doing some reading I'm discovering quite a few articles or threads talking about LCL injuries needing surgery.

I could care less what the MRI says.  Is the knee stable or unstable to examination?

I believe the knee is slightly unstable compared to my other knee.  Right after the injury I had a slight sensation that my knee wanted to hyper extend.  That sensation is getting better as time goes on. 

If it were getting better, I would wait to see how it turned out.  It can always be repaired later.

Thanks for the response Mark.  I will give it a couple more weeks and go from there.  Would you think light cycling would be ok or try to limit my exercise?