Well I am in desperate need of help. I am going to be buying a 2017 ktm and I cannot decide on a 250 or 300. I'm more of a trail rider not so much racing. Only race I'll do is the local ones and there's like 2 but other than that I trail ride. What's best

I don't think you could go wrong with either.  I just picked up a 250xc and couldn't be happier. The 250s will feel a little lighter and more agile but the 300 have more torque. If you ride at high altitude or massive hill climbs then the 300. Its a hard call only you can decide. You will get differing opinions one which one is best , you will probably find more guys like the 300 over the 250. Get on youtube and look up Dirtbike Channel. He just did a good comparison between the 250 and 300.

• Like 1

I've watched so many YouTube videos and a lot from his channel. I hear so many good things about both bikes. If I could test them it'd be a lot easier to decide but there's no dealer around me that does that. I've had 250s before but never an xc style. Thanks 

Yeah I heard there's a 300 kit for the 250 too. I like the more power I'll probably go for the 300. Thanks for your input

I am having the same dilemma.  I have ridden the 250 and it was a blast, I didn't feel the need for more power.  I have a friend that has ridden both and he said the 300 lugs at slow speed a little better, feels a little more like a four stroke, isn't as playful, feels a little heavier to ride even though they are essentially the same weight.

• Like 1

All the KTM guys in my group have the 300's now. A few had the 250's and when it was time to buy a new bike, they went witb the 300's. Ive never heard any of them "want more power", and lets be realistic, you probably wont either.

The guys I ride with say the 300 is easier to ride in a lot of the tight single track we ride. Open stuff they dont notice much difference

Ahh, the never ending dilemma...

Both bikes make roughly the same PEAK horsepower, but the 300 is much meatier, with the 250 having a more racy manner.

Bottom line - 300 is for the lazy(er), 250 for those who like to shift more often.

• Like 1