Alternative to fork boots

I have the long Moose racing neoprene fork skins.  Had them for years.  As long as you're not racing and getting a whole bunch of roost launched at them they work fine.  When I did race with them on I actually used two pairs and doubled them up to give more protection from rocks.  I just serviced my forks and did not find any nicks or dings in the stanchions.  Look wise they are more appealing IMO.  

https://www.denniskirk.com/588352.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5Fug4lmaU-JyVpVNd7Fc4M4r-kFsXAzin1XZpeee0ecaAlUO8P8HAQ&ad=46766398717

I have used the neoprene skins for years. My XR is going on 17 years old. I've never had to change the seals due to leaking.

The plastic guards were part of the SRC fork brace kit. They've been gone a long time but I still run the the brace with the skins.

SealSavers.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

Hey Trailryder- What size seal savers are those?  The 44mm-50mm longs?

I have the same brace with fork guards on a 400 I just bought, but I don't like the plastic caps that go over the seals, don't do much to keep the dirt out.  This is exactly what I have been wanting to do, but didn't know if the seal savers would fit over those plastic caps.

And does the brace seem so hold in place good with the neoprene in between?

9 hours ago, RockyMtnHigh said:

Hey Trailryder- What size seal savers are those?  The 44mm-50mm longs?

I have the same brace with fork guards on a 400 I just bought, but I don't like the plastic caps that go over the seals, don't do much to keep the dirt out.  This is exactly what I have been wanting to do, but didn't know if the seal savers would fit over those plastic caps.

And does the brace seem so hold in place good with the neoprene in between?

I put them on so long ago, I can't remember the size, but RMATV lists the 36-43mm as fitting the XR400, but looks like they only sell the short ones. But they stretch over the seal caps fine and the brace doesn't budge.

On 4/13/2017 at 8:43 PM, Trailryder42 said:

I put them on so long ago, I can't remember the size, but RMATV lists the 36-43mm as fitting the XR400, but looks like they only sell the short ones. But they stretch over the seal caps fine and the brace doesn't budge.

Ya, I didn't have any luck finding the long ones in the 36-43mm size.  I might give the long ones that are a size bigger a shot, the tusk ones are only $15, so not out a whole lot if they are too big.

I like the old gaiters.  But, that's just me.

Ya, a new pair looks good for awhile.
I just prefer its service ability cause when you wipe down those you start crumpling the accordions and they eventually crack where the Shock Sox I can put in the laundy with my foot Sox every weekend