Slowing down kx85

I'm debating on picking up a bone stock 01 kx85 for my wife to ride. She's never been on a dirt bike before in her life and I'm afraid she might hurt herself on the 85 and give up the sport before she even begins. Is there a way to slow it down or reduce the power on it until she learns to ride and gets a little more comfortable on it? 

You can run taller gearing.  Go up 1 tooth on the front sprocket (may need to modify case saver) or go down 3-5 teeth on the rear sprocket(may need new chain)

Get a crf150f, ttr 125 or klx 140 for her first bike. They are the best way to learn.

• Like 2

85's are pipey, and can be a handful for a new rider.  I'd put her on a trail focused 4 stroke.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2017 at 10:30 PM, Chase123 said:

I'm debating on picking up a bone stock 01 kx85 for my wife to ride. She's never been on a dirt bike before in her life and I'm afraid she might hurt herself on the 85 and give up the sport before she even begins. Is there a way to slow it down or reduce the power on it until she learns to ride and gets a little more comfortable on it? 

Some options:

1. Retard the spark timing a little. 10 minute job.
  2. Jet it a little rich on the needle. So it's more docile at 1/2 throttle. But might need to lean off the pilot to keep it smooth below 1/4 throttle.
  3. Pin the PV closed. Prevent it from opening. Assuming the 01 has a PV. That'll stop it from going too hard when the RPMs are up.

Those 3 mods could make a massive difference.

+1 for the pv idea. I bought an 01 kx85 as a youngster as my second bike. Little did I know, the pv was not operating on it due to it being gummed up with oil. It still had a lot of usable power and was great for learning on.

It wasn't until I took it to the beach for a weekend that the leaner jetting burned away some of that oil and allowed the pv to operate. Boy was I surprised the first time that thing hit band! Rode around the rest of the weekend with the biggest smile on my face.

• Like 1

That's a good tale.

A tamed KX85 should be super easy to "make" and will be way more fun than any heavy little diesel.

If you want your wife to enjoy riding and stick with it. Get her something she can easily flat foot both feet and that is mellow. Like the "trail" bikes already mentioned. 

SOOOO many people wreck others by throwing them on a bike they have no business being on. You want to build there confidence in their skills. Its like people who go snow sking with a newbie and think its a great idea to take them down a double black with 2 feet of fresh snow. There is NO way they'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, freeriders98 said:

Get her something she can easily flat foot both feet and that is mellow. Like the "trail" bikes already mentioned. 

Also like KX85 with those 3 simple mods I mentioned, to smooth out the power a lot.

Light weight bikes are awesome for learners. So they learn and also so they get hooked on the fun of riding. Like riding a trials bike vs a 240 lbs enduro bike.

Watch kids on PW50s or PW80s versus those kids on the CRF50 or 70. The kids on the two strokes can get loose and they love it. The kids on the heavy little 4 strokes too often quit riding forever.

• Like 1

Well I appreciate all the feed back and we actually ended up picking up an 06 ttr125 for her this past weekend. 

• Like 1