2017 Sherco 300 se-r

OK, new to this part of the forum! After years of riding blue, I got another, well, blue bike...But this shade of blue is different, so there's that.

Picked up my first new bike in 16 years (last one was a new WR426 way back 4-strokes were an odd bird, and had carbs. Well except for the Cannondale...), and it's a beauty!

It'll take a little getting used to, but the best way to acquaint yourself with a bike is to tear it down, so that's happening.

Like with any new bike (or new to me), I first pull it apart and do something the factory seems to hate to do - GREASE THE DAMN BEARINGS! The linkage bearings were barely wet with some kind of oil like substance, and would pound out within 5 minutes of riding. Large amounts of Bel-Ray waterproof grease were smeared in there. Quite a sight.

Tires - off with the FIM/DOT legal Michelin's, on with the Pirelli MT-16 rear, MX-32 mid-soft for the front

Jetting - I'd like some input from any other owners if possible. It seems fat, which is better than lean...I'm at ~sea level, between 50-85 degrees.

Exhaust - I comes with an FMF pipe, but i'll be throwing a FMF Q Stealth spark arrestor on it

Protection - Enduro Engineering skidplate and hand guards. Clutch cover guard and linkage slider courtesy of Bulletproof Carbon https://www.facebook.com/bulletproofcarbon/

Battery tender dongle to trickle charge isn't a bad idea either (no kickstart backup, which is terrifying).

IMG_2674.jpg.0a08731f76beeea4c72bc45c494415f1.jpgIMG_2689.jpg.d7244622015e265c32876ed8a8171a6b.jpgIMG_2691.jpg.f824713dd939b71270d5481a5ae17fd6.jpgIMG_2690.jpg.8cc53496f679a5bb66a6370d8a22ea31.jpgIMG_2692.thumb.jpg.57b494b4b344a9f1a4349d6dc7e3f7fb.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, RollieW said:

Buddy has a 2016, great bike.

Yeah, browsing the web, there really aren't any bad reviews of these. If only Americans would embrace these, they would become very popular, very fast.

Beautiful! I love the colours of those Factory editions! Enjoy it, she's a monster :)

• Like 1

Cool thing is that's not even the Factory version and it's sexy as hell. It's the standard Racing version (which is still feature packed).

Here's the 2017 300 SER Factory.

I want! My wife says no more new bikes this year though. :(

2017_300_SER_Factory_1.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats on the new bike! I have great luck jetting with Suzuki NECJ and NEDJ needles along with dialing in the main and pilot jet. Much better running than the stock needle. Whereabouts are you in PA? I am in Ohio.

Ive got that same bike, 16hrs on it now,  just keeps getting better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KX02 said:

Congrats on the new bike! I have great luck jetting with Suzuki NECJ and NEDJ needles along with dialing in the main and pilot jet. Much better running than the stock needle. Whereabouts are you in PA? I am in Ohio.

Yup, already stole the NECJ from a friend lol! Right now it has a 168/38, but awaiting a 35 from AOMC. Sherco sent two 38's instead of 38 and 35...

I'm in Pittsburgh, epicenter of the universe ;)

• Like 1

Congrads on the new ride. I bought mine from the same dealer. This is my second Sherco for a good reason,,,, overall the best handling bike to date. I decided to go white vs. the blue, better looking in person. I also removed the rubber and added Sedona MX907 and Maxxis desert cross IT, funny nearly same terrain but very different tire choices.

IMG_0096.JPG

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mattskn said:

Ive got that same bike, 16hrs on it now,  just keeps getting better.

My 250 runs best with the 35 pilot especially with hot weather coming up.

OK, new to this part of the forum! After years of riding blue, I got another, well, blue bike...But this shade of blue is different, so there's that.
Picked up my first new bike in 16 years (last one was a new WR426 way back 4-strokes were an odd bird, and had carbs. Well except for the Cannondale...), and it's a beauty!
It'll take a little getting used to, but the best way to acquaint yourself with a bike is to tear it down, so that's happening.
Like with any new bike (or new to me), I first pull it apart and do something the factory seems to hate to do - GREASE THE DAMN BEARINGS! The linkage bearings were barely wet with some kind of oil like substance, and would pound out within 5 minutes of riding. Large amounts of Bel-Ray waterproof grease were smeared in there. Quite a sight.
Tires - off with the FIM/DOT legal Michelin's, on with the Pirelli MT-16 rear, MX-32 mid-soft for the front
Jetting - I'd like some input from any other owners if possible. It seems fat, which is better than lean...I'm at ~sea level, between 50-85 degrees.
Exhaust - I comes with an FMF pipe, but i'll be throwing a FMF Q Stealth spark arrestor on it
Protection - Enduro Engineering skidplate and hand guards. Clutch cover guard and linkage slider courtesy of Bulletproof Carbon https://www.facebook.com/bulletproofcarbon/
Battery tender dongle to trickle charge isn't a bad idea either (no kickstart backup, which is terrifying).
IMG_2674.jpg.0a08731f76beeea4c72bc45c494415f1.jpgIMG_2689.jpg.d7244622015e265c32876ed8a8171a6b.jpgIMG_2691.jpg.f824713dd939b71270d5481a5ae17fd6.jpgIMG_2690.jpg.8cc53496f679a5bb66a6370d8a22ea31.jpgIMG_2692.thumb.jpg.57b494b4b344a9f1a4349d6dc7e3f7fb.jpg
IMG_2683.thumb.jpg.c5dfeab8ec2ea7378f23009605772c3a.jpg
IMG_2682.jpg.febf18992066ce9dd0624cbce877f75c.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg.4cfa83f48a0e3b061d506e2e52ebe58d.jpg

That's a great bike
  • Like 2

Nice bike!  

You will love it!  I just rolled over 270 hours on my 2014 and it's been great.

I ride 6-9k elevation with a NECJ #2, 38 pilot and 152 main.  Works great and is on the safe side.  I could run a 150 or maybe a 148.

Also, P3 makes a real nice carbon pipe guard

Edited by GlennE
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, GlennE said:

Nice bike!  

You will love it!  I just rolled over 270 hours on my 2014 and it's been great.

I ride 6-9k elevation with a NECJ #2, 38 pilot and 152 main.  Works great and is on the safe side.  I could run a 150 or maybe a 148.

Also, P3 makes a real nice carbon pipe guard

I just threw the NECJ at #3, 38 pilot (will be replaced by 35 when it shows up), and 168 main. Will report back on performance tomorrow. As far as protection, i use Bulletproof Carbon products (https://www.facebook.com/bulletproofcarbon), looks great and performs. I'll be installing the carbon clutch cover, pipe guard, and the linkage slider.

Shercoprotection.jpg

Edited by jamracing
Added photo

Yay, more parts! Received the FMF Q Stealth and skidplate
IMG_2714.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG
IMG_2718.JPG
IMG_2721.JPG

I was worried the silencer would be huge, but it's actually only slightly larger than the original. The skidplate on the other hand has made the decision undercarriage landmine proof. It's pretty damn heavy, but will protect the frame,waterpump and bottom of the stator cover

Never noticed it by why would Sherco have a different skid plate design from the 4t??? My stock 300i coverage is somewhere between the two.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weantright said:

Never noticed it by why would Sherco have a different skid plate design from the 4t??? My stock 300i coverage is somewhere between the two.

This one is more of a glide plate for MX, so it doesn't make much sense...More like a bad joke in my opinion.

On 4/13/2017 at 10:18 AM, jamracing said:

Yeah, browsing the web, there really aren't any bad reviews of these. If only Americans would embrace these, they would become very popular, very fast.

They have to be sold here before we can embrace them!   A few dealers, but I've never seen one of the bikes or an advertisment for one.

Closest dealer is 200 miles away.

Hard to embrace

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MindBlower said:

They have to be sold here before we can embrace them!   A few dealers, but I've never seen one of the bikes or an advertisment for one.

Hard to embrace

Agreed. But that's the chicken/egg problem...I think there are 4 dealerships up to 4 hours around me.

We received an update from the US importer, and they sold more bikes in 2017 than all of 2016 by more than double. The storm is a comin'!

Here is the post from the Sherco forum

"I wanted to tell you guys "THANK YOU!" This 2017 model year has been a really good year so far. I have sold more motorcycles this year already than I did last year and still have another container of bikes coming which about 50% pre-sold. I expected to have Six Day models to sell before the Factory Editions and XC models arrive but I have been out of them for two weeks. I sold my demo and have a deposit on my son's bike. I have talked to my banker about bringing in two containers of 2018 models at the same time in July for August delivery and he said I had to be out of 2017s to do that. I bet him an expensive lunch that I would have the next container sold in 90 days from delivery. 

Last year parts sales died Christmas to mid-February but they didn't this year. I expect they will continue to grow too. I have my on line website going now and am walking guys thru it one at a time as they send me an order. I have a friend's wife helping me part time in parts and she has been a huge help getting parts out quickly.

We broke ground on a building that we plan to pay for out of our pocket on my partner's farm. Nothing fancy but he has a two mile woods loop/ grass track that will be perfect for demos. Last year I had guys come from about 10 states to test bikes and we had to load them in the Sprinter and drive to the test site. In the future I plan to have bikes at the shop on the farm for guys to ride right out of the shop. We plan to install a changing room with showers and a couple of RV hook ups, 

So....again...thank you all for your help in growing the brand. Your positive comments here and to friends help more than you can know!!"

Edited by jamracing
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, MindBlower said:

Hard to embrace

And you will not in the near future. The importer is basically a one man operation and has limited funds. There's no marketing/advertising department and base on my knowledge with him that is not his specialty. Dealers must buy their inventory just like all exotics and hope you sell out before the years end.