Rekluse equipped FX with 185 hours. My experience...

Just thought i would share this with the team since i don't see much about configurations and longevity on the Rekluse (specifically in a FX).  So my bike has had the Rekluse in it from day one.  This is the core 3.0 model.  When i got the bike it had 18 hours on it.  The previous owner had the rekluse setup completely wrong.  No free play gain at all and the bike ran poorly because of the clutch.  So lets assume for those 18 hours the rekluse got a little extra abuse from poor installment.  I immediately took it apart and got everything set up properly.  For those that don't have experience with one, they are extremely easy to set up.  And just to point out, the bike has been ran with Rotella T6 its entire life.  Changed every other ride.

EXP spring setup:

At 185 hours i have tried multiple configurations.  When i got the bike it had the 3 silver / 3 red EXP springs in it.  This setup was for high engagement.  The previous owner used the bike only for MX.  As a woods rider that likes to lug, this slipped way too much and I felt like it took a lot of snap out of the bike.  I then switched to the 6 silver springs.  This obviously lowered the engagement point to the medium range and made the bike much more rideable for me.  I feel like this configuration is great for the user that relies on the rekluse and hardly touches the clutch lever.  Just the right amount of slip, and not too low of engagement which can result in bogging down the FX.  Because i like wasting money on my bike, i ordered up the low engagement springs because curiosity got the best of me.  This was the 3 steel springs that would mix with 3 of my current silver springs.  $10 a spring.  Pricey, but it is what it is.  This noticeably dropped the engagement point, and gave the bike the most amount of snap back.  If you are the type of rekluse rider that abandons the clutch lever after getting the rekluse, this IMO isn't the best setup for this bike.  For me, I noticed i had to stab the clutch a touch more to get in the R's to avoid bogging (since it engaged so quickly).  That said, because i still cover and use the clutch lever 90% of the time, this was not a problem.  I must also note, during this whole time i have been using the stock 14A wedges and the heavy clutch plate springs (gold).

Construction & Durability:

The rekluse is a piece of art.  The quality is top notch and fitment is precise.  After 185 hours, everything still looks brand new.  The pressure plate, the inner hub, the stock basket and the ring.  As seen in the picture, there is zero notch marks on the stock outer basket, and i mean zero.  The pressure plate looks mint, and the EXP ring still measures perfectly in spec.  During this time i have replaced the friction plates once.  Not because they were out of spec, but because they where glazed over on the pads.  Was it necessary? I don't know.  I probably did it because i hadn't ordered anything on RMATV in a while and i felt like wrenching on the bike :).  I also replaced the teflon pads on the wedges (cheap purchase directly from rekluse).  They were getting worn down and the wedge surface was beginning to make contact with the ramps on the ring.  When replacing these pads, use the tip of a sharp knife or razor blade to simple stab them and remove, very easy.  The new ones you just press in with your finger, than the butt of a screwdriver.  Steel plates and wedges are all original.  One thing i want to point out to everyone is to make sure you have your pressure plate wheel bolts tight enough.  For a short stint, my free play gain kept going out of spec and i couldn't figure out why.  After documenting my starting point (free play gain) i checked it 15 hours later to discover it had moved.  Rekluse CS actually suggested this to me.  The tech guy told me to snug those two bolts down a little more to solve the problem.  And thus it has.  

Future:

When i first got the bike, i had only ridden a couple of my buddies bikes with a rekluse.  At first i couldn't tell if i liked it or not, and contemplated going back to the stocker multiple times.  Now that I'm familiar with it, seen how reliable and durable it is, i really really like it.  I love the fact that you can use the clutch lever as if its stock.  That was my biggest gripe with the Z-start pro on my buddies bike.  Didn't care for the limp lever.  Most people who ride my FX comment how nice and smooth the clutch pull is.  If it wasn't for the clutch case, most wouldn't even notice it in there.  Now i have the heavy wedge kit in front of me, so this is my next test for the FX and rekluse.  Currently I'm running the stock configuration  (stock wedges, and medium EXP springs).  The plan is to go to the heavy wedges (stamped 13B) and low engagement springs.  My ultimate goal is to turn the bike into just an anti-stall device and get as much snap and hit back.

Here are some pictures from yesterday when i installed the heavy wedges and low springs.  The pictures aren't super great quality but you get the idea.  You can see the weight difference between the two wedges, the condition of the basket and the condition of the ring and pressure plate.  I must also point out its important to have an ice cold beer any time you work on the rekluse.  Makes the install much easier.  Anyways,  if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!      

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6565.JPG

IMG_6566.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_6569.JPG

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 4

Just a quick update.  I fired up the bike for the first time with the low RPM springs and heavy wedges.  Just in my shop to make sure the free play gain was good.  Holy mother of pearl!! With the idle set at where i had it before (on higher side to get the stock setting rekluse to surge / drag a bit at idle) this thing wants to tear off and drive itself.  It literally would move forward at a good pace.  I had to drop the RPM significantly to prevent it from moving.  I like to have it where it just surges a little at idle in gear.  Dropping the idle to where i needed it was a lot lower than i like, and I'm concerned about it stalling when chopping the throttle hard.  So i gave rekluse a quick call and they recommended the heavy wedges with the medium springs in order to keep the idle up and keep the 250F closer to the meat of its power.

• Like 1

Nice review, have a core exp 3.0 in my 450r 17 and love it, they are a great thing for off-roading, just purchased a 450rx and will remove it from the r and fit it to the ex, I would be interested in trying heavier weights to see how that goes, [emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, georgee said:

Nice review, have a core exp 3.0 in my 450r 17 and love it, they are a great thing for off-roading, just purchased a 450rx and will remove it from the r and fit it to the ex, I would be interested in trying heavier weights to see how that goes, emoji106.pngemoji106.png

for a 450 i would probably just leave it in stock configuration (wedges and springs).  If anything, the slight roll off of snap would be welcome on a bike that powerful.  For a 250F, giving up power is more critical.  Curious what you think of that RX!  Hoping they come out with a 250 version

I'd like to give everyone an update regarding the heavy wedges. Just got back from a good ride at Walker valley (some of you may know it) and gave the bike a full test. IMO rekluse should provide the heavy wedges as the ones that come with the clutch. It gave so much snap back I was shocked. Made lofting logs, roots and rocks much easier. The bike felt more powerful and fun to ride. So setup is heavy wedges, medium exp springs. Well worth the pricey cost of the wedges.

I have been contemplating this purchase. But at the end of the day I find myself ending up with the same answer when I contemplated a steering damper. This bike is so good it just doesn't seem to need it. But maybe I will run into someone one day with a Rekluse in an FX and ride it. It could change my mind. The post is very informative non the less. Wish everyone posted up like this. Its a great reference to be able to go back to.

• Like 1

On 16/4/2017 at 10:51 PM, Enduro R Rider said:

I have been contemplating this purchase. But at the end of the day I find myself ending up with the same answer when I contemplated a steering damper. This bike is so good it just doesn't seem to need it. But maybe I will run into someone one day with a Rekluse in an FX and ride it. It could change my mind. The post is very informative non the less. Wish everyone posted up like this. Its a great reference to be able to go back to.

Except that there is a big diff with what a steering damper does vs what a auto clutch does. One, for the most part saves a crash, the other, for the most part saves stalling.

16 minutes ago, Enduro R Rider said:

Which I have found to not have a problem with either.

thats cause you dont know what they offer

just for you because i knew you'd rebuke my post,

my mate avoiding a wash out

me about to slam thru it

damper to the rescue.

but of course, you believe what you want, but it aint necessarily so!

vlcsnap-00018.jpg

vlcsnap-00051.jpg

I absolutely know what both offer. What year is your bike? It doesnt look to be a 2015 or newer. Just because its the same brand doesnt mean that one shoe fits all. The geometry and weight distribution changes with most year models. I have had a Scott's damper on most of my bikes but I have not felt the need to install one on the FX. Truth be told, most people that put them on could actually remedy the symptoms with proper fork suspension adjustment.

As for the Rekluse, some guys prefer them and some guys don't. Just because they don't prefer them doesn't mean they don't understand what they offer.

28 minutes ago, Ted T Fredericks said:

Oh thats well dialed "A kit" KYBs on an 07 WR, yeah really outdated crap there:banghead:

If you think you can go thru wash outs like that and stay up. please show us,

I have proof,

So far you have heresay :goofy: so "show us the money"

Dude,  you don't need a steering stabilizer to ride that section in your picture. Please don't degrade this great thread with BS posts like that.....   BTW, I don't feel the need for an auto clutch, and my Scotts stabilizer that I used on my orange bike I had before my FX sits on the shelf as I no longer feel I need it when riding the FX.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shredjim said:

Dude,  you don't need a steering stabilizer to ride that section in your picture. Please don't degrade this great thread with BS posts like that.....   BTW, I don't feel the need for an auto clutch, and my Scotts stabilizer that I used on my orange bike I had before my FX sits on the shelf as I no longer feel I need it when riding the FX.  

Well said.

3 hours ago, Ted T Fredericks said:

Oh thats well dialed "A kit" KYBs on an 07 WR, yeah really outdated crap there:banghead:

If you think you can go thru wash outs like that and stay up. please show us,

I have proof,

So far you have heresay :goofy: so "show us the money"

Ted is that a little Cobra on your front fender?