2012 KLX 250S to SM Conversion

I have a 2012 KLX 250S.  I want to be able to change it back and forth between a dual sport and a supermoto.  I know that to truly convert it to a supermoto involves more than just wheels and tires.  But, it would seem to me that wheels and tires would go a long way.

Is it a reasonable idea to have a bike that can be changed back and forth by just swapping wheels and tires?  How big a job is this?  Reasonable for a wrenching newbie?

As long as your willing to do the work 30 to 45 mins you can be done. Your right that wheels go a long way. I converted my husky with wheels only and it does excellent on the street.

Thanks S10gto - Any advice or a newbie?  Reasonable for someone with limited skills?  Any suggestions on where to get wheels?  Any good threads, videos or pdfs on how to do it?  Any idea on how much it costs to do just wheels and tires?  I have seen conversion kits for $1,500 to $2,200, but they go a lot further than I want to go.  I am starting from pretty much zero.

Is it alternatively possible to set up for supermoto but choose a tire that has some off-road grip to have a more road oriented set up but still some off road ability without switching wheels?

Edited by Sorg67

First thing to do is buy a repair manual . Pulling axles out and swapping wheels is very easy and only requires basic hand tools. 

As far as where to go that's easy.

Motoxindistries.com Talk to Jim. He is the man when your looking to go sumo. They have well priced kits and can build anything you may want.

For Tires I have seen full knobbies for 17's to a tire like continental trail attacks that is a very grooved street 80/20 tire.

Again Jim can help you with this. They will also mount and balance them so as soon as you open the box your ready to go. 

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Edited by S10gto