Will Roger DeCoster also retire if Dungey does?

He's been in the motorcycle industry for decades.  Will "The Man", "The Legend", "The Master", Roger DeCoster also retire when Dungey does?  Thoughts?

97737_carmisc-stlouissx2015-cu_3ed95.jpg

• Like 2

He should.  The Muskrat isn't going to get it done, especially if they keep dumping sand on some of the tracks.

• Like 4

It has seemed like the two would retire at the same time.  The development of Marvin might be a new challenge or He might go with the Sgt Hulka phrase, "I'm getting too old for this sh**!", meaning develop a top flight rider to compete with Tomac and Roczen.

Perhaps DeCoster would mentor Dungey in how to run a MX team.

For Dungey, the eventual options are: Walk away (RC), Get carried away (quit due to injuries), Fade away (slowly move towards the back of the finish order).  I think Chad Reed knows he s a real long shot at the title, but riding is better than fishing, so what the hell else would he do on  Saturday?    

It really depends on their desire to keep racing.  

• Like 3

Win, lose or draw, I'm guessing Dungey ill retire after the outdoors.  He has been a great spokesman for the sport and although I would hate to see him go, I don't think he has the mindset to allow himself to be a mid pack racer.  Time will tell.

I think Roger DeCoster is 72 or very near that.  He's making a good salary at KTM and over the last few years has been a major player in their upswing in development and sales.  I'm thinking KTM would want him to stick around but Roger has never been afraid to walk away from a solid job for a new challenge(s).  He has forgotten more than all of us together would ever know about racing and the industry.  Iconic is an understatement.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, yzernie said:

Win, lose or draw, I'm guessing Dungey ill retire after the outdoors.  He has been a great spokesman for the sport and although I would hate to see him go, I don't think he has the mindset to allow himself to be a mid pack racer.  Time will tell.

I think Roger DeCoster is 72 or very near that.  He's making a good salary at KTM and over the last few years has been a major player in their upswing in development and sales.  I'm thinking KTM would want him to stick around but Roger has never been afraid to walk away from a solid job for a new challenge(s).  He has forgotten more than all of us together would ever know about racing and the industry.  Iconic is an understatement.  

I don't think Dungey has been a great spokesman at all. No stories will ever be written about RD, he's that boring as shit... Guys like KR, MM, CR now those guys will carry the sport so much farther.

Crap, the line up to see CR at Seattle was nearly double anyone else's lineup...

KR was not only used his riding, but he uses social media to go that much farther too.  4000+ posts on Instagram vs Dungey and his pale 1000+...And the suit! That's friggin pimp! And professional!

MM is just happy to be out there racing, but he'll talk to anyone with such enthusiasm... 

But if you like plain and boring, Dungey is your man...  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Monk said:

I don't think Dungey has been a great spokesman at all. No stories will ever be written about RD, he's that boring as shit... Guys like KR, MM, CR now those guys will carry the sport so much farther.

Crap, the line up to see CR at Seattle was nearly double anyone else's lineup...

KR was not only used his riding, but he uses social media to go that much farther too.  4000+ posts on Instagram vs Dungey and his pale 1000+...And the suit! That's friggin pimp! And professional!

MM is just happy to be out there racing, but he'll talk to anyone with such enthusiasm... 

But if you like plain and boring, Dungey is your man...  

Boring?, your perspective and that's ok.  I'll agree that Dungey isn't as flamboyant as some of the others but for me, I don't give two shits about being popular on social media.  What I like about him is he quietly goes about his work and still provides results.  Maybe I like that trait in him because that is how I was in my job before I retired.  Regardless, he's at the age where he has to look at his options.  He wants to start a family but doesn't want to be on the road all the time.  I respect him for that.

2 minutes ago, jz125 said:

He has already said he would. If he doesn't, he has changed his mind

Who are you talking about?...Dungey or DeCoster?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, yzernie said:

Boring?, your perspective and that's ok.  I'll agree that Dungey isn't as flamboyant as some of the others but for me, I don't give two shits about being popular on social media.  What I like about him is he quietly goes about his work and still provides results.  Maybe I like that trait in him because that is how I was in my job before I retired.  Regardless, he's at the age where he has to look at his options.  He wants to start a family but doesn't want to be on the road all the time.  I respect him for that.

He hasn't done anything to uplift the sport in anyway... As for him being boring, that's not MY perspective, that's fact. The ways of 'old' are changing old man. It's not simply about being good enough anymore to get anywhere. You HAVE to either be #1 or have some sort of social media that allows you to reach farther then just the race course... Media is ever so important in this day and age.. 

Edited by Monk

3 minutes ago, Monk said:

He hasn't done anything to uplift the sport in anyway... As for him being boring, that's not MY perspective, that's fact. The ways of 'old' are changing old man. It's not simply about being good enough anymore to get anywhere. You HAVE to either be #1 or have some sort of social media that allows you to reach farther then just the race course... Media is ever so important in this day and age.. 

That's your opinion and that's ok.  Maybe I'm older than you and have differing opinion of what priorities makes him what he is on and off the track.  And that's ok too.  No need to get pissed off. 

• Like 2

Decoster has to be bummed. Marvin as his point man is nothing to be excited about.  KTMs need to go all in and get Forknor next year. 

Edited by RMZ819
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, yzernie said:

That's your opinion and that's ok.  Maybe I'm older than you and have differing opinion of what priorities makes him what he is on and off the track.  And that's ok too.  No need to get pissed off. 

Lol, I'm not pissed off, I find what you say is comical... 

• Like 2

Just now, Monk said:

Lol, I'm not pissed off, I find what you say is comical... 

Just for generational analysis, I'm 61.  How old are you?

1 minute ago, Monk said:

35....Freedom 55? Nice job! 

Hahaha.  See, it's a generational difference.  LOL

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yzernie said:

Who are you talking about?...Dungey or DeCoster?

Who have we been talking about?

Who have we been talking about?

Dungey AND DeCoster.  lol

• Like 1

No Roger is the pinnacle topic. You have to forgive us, we stray off topic in about the amount of time that JS7 lasts in a heat race.

A short period of time indeed!!  lol

• Like 1