Front fork adjuster keeps spinning, with no click noise....help

So I just picked up a 2001 cr 250. When I checked it out the rear shock seemed a little wet,but not to bad. The front forks didnt have any oil on them but they did have these dust covers that slid over them. I took it out riding this past week and the front suspension is STIFF. Ive ridden a few different bikes that have way nicer suspension. I figured i just needed to adjust the forks. When I turn the clickers on top of the forks I dont get any clicking noise and dont really feel any resistance. And it just keep spinning it doesnt stop. When I tried to adjust the rebound on bottom the clickers would go maybe half a turn then freeze up and not turn at all. I am a noob when it comes to suspension.I figure something is wrong in the front forks I juts have no idea what. I plan on maybe tearing into them in the next week or so. Just thought id throw it out there to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

Sounds bad like they have bern forced, the top adjusters are not cheap

My o6 yz 250 had the same issue with the compression adjusters on the forks, I had no idea the adjusters didn't work when I bought it. They can be fixed if you cant find used ones cheap. The rebound adjusters work fine on mine tho so I know nothing about fixing them.

I took the forks to a local dealer that has a suspension/machine shop, he made me new adjusters for 150 bucks, it took him a few hours to figure it out, I cant post pics of whats inside the adjuster but the new ones work, they take a allen key now and turn 2 turns from full hard to full soft. He milled out the stock adjuster, threaded the cap and made a new adjuster to screw into the cap. Heres a pic of the adjuster.

DSCN0109.JPG

Edited by biglake
forgot some useful info.