Fork lug differences (open cartridge 46 mm)

Hi guys

While I thought my other set of forks is going to be a straight swap, apparently this isn't so. I'm glad I tried bolting on my brake caliper before selling the old set.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I have here? The dirty one came from an '02 125 and the other I'm not really sure. I thought all open cartridge forks are the same, cap to lug (minus the spring rate and valving). What year/model brake caliper will fit? Since the mounts are wider, the disc has to be moved toward the centre of the wheel in axial direction. Different hubs too, then? 2001 and earlier?IMG_20170413_154909.jpg.6b11ec00a0bdd8359eb9a344e910d5e5.jpg

IMG_20170413_153909.jpg

Edited by Narciss

I remembered I have a spare pre 2001 caliper, will try to fit that on. 

As I remember, they came with YZ triples..

I have Yam and Kawi front wheels which I swap between my YZ and KX depending on the tire I want to use. I also have 2010 SSS CC and 2004 OC YZ forks with different spec lugs and I swap them for MX vs trails.  It works with the right axle spacers.

As long as you have an axle that fits, you can make/mod your own axle spacers to get the wheel/rim centered. Just be sure to torque the axle side nut properly, and let the right leg slide freely on the axle when making your measurements.

Then you might be able to modify or use spacers on the brake mount to line up the caliper with the rotor. If your wheel is slightly off center by a mm or two you probably wont notice it.

IMO, when a bike wont turn properly the usual adjustments like clickers, sag, etc, will make a much bigger difference than the front wheel being 1mm to one side.

I dug up the old caliper together with the mount/bracket and it seems it actually could work. So the aim is to get the newer caliper (actually waiting for a CRF unit) mounted on this older fork leg. The upper caliper holder pin will probably have to be manufactured from scrap since the older caliper one bolts to the bracket and the newer caliper one bolts to the caliper. The bracket will have to be modified accordingly. It also seems that the different leg mount position in axial direction is accounted for by the bracket width. The older is significantly narrower.

Will update with pictures once I get to it. Oh and the reason I'm so keen on using the older fork leg is the inner tube condition. Significanty less marks on the older one.

• Like 1

Update

Recieved the Honda caliper and tried to fit it on the older style lug (right one on the photos) with no luck. Came to the following conclusions..

Apparently the right fork really is an older design, '96-'97 (?) perhaps. Strangely, the caliper mount shape is identical to the newer YZs '08+ (don't know about the YZF), except for it's width. As seen on the photo, the right one is wider at 30mm. This probably has to do with the older front hub ('01 and earlier), which is narrower than the new design. I didn't go about calculating and measuring to confirm, though it seems to me the only viable explanation. If that is indeed the fact, I guess I should be able to mount the caliper with a newer bracket and an older wheel hub.

The one on the left in the photo is the original fork from an '02 YZ 125. Different mount shape to the newer YZs, but same width at 20mm.

Everything else seems identical.

I'm going to go with the latter, because of the mount width and subsequent alignment problems. Unless I find a place where I could have the excess 10 mm removed. Not likely, though, Not many machine shops around here.

• Like 1