Getting my first bike

Hey i am 6'1 260 lbs and looking to get my first bike. Have only ridden a dirt bike at a friends house twice. I play on getting into shape this summer. I wanted to know if I could start on a 450f and keep the stock suspension. I will not be hitting jumps or racing anytime soon. Just want this bike for trail riding behind my house which is 140 acres. Would a 450f be ok for me just riding around?

Luke's. 450 is extreamly powerful. Not really the bike to learn on. If you ever look on Craigslist you'll notice there are a lot more 450's than 250's.  You spend too much time controlling the bike. Personally I would lean towards a 250 to 300.  If you have a chance ride some smaller bike and see what you think. Running trails isn't about speed.  

Way more bike than you will be happy with. First bike, just for riding around, there are a lot of non-race bikes you might want to think about. Big bike might be a DRZ400S or one of the Honda XR's.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lukem said:

Hey i am 6'1 260 lbs and looking to get my first bike. Have only ridden a dirt bike at a friends house twice. I play on getting into shape this summer. I wanted to know if I could start on a 450f and keep the stock suspension. I will not be hitting jumps or racing anytime soon. Just want this bike for trail riding behind my house which is 140 acres. Would a 450f be ok for me just riding around?

Yea but the thing is with my weight how much money would I have to put into suspension to be a good fit on a 250f?

55 minutes ago, William1 said:

Way more bike than you will be happy with. First bike, just for riding around, there are a lot of non-race bikes you might want to think about. Big bike might be a DRZ400S or one of the Honda XR's.

So should I get a yz250f, a kx 250f a crf250r and get a better suspension for my weight? How much does this cost to upgrade for that much weight?

58 minutes ago, CCBake said:

Luke's. 450 is extreamly powerful. Not really the bike to learn on. If you ever look on Craigslist you'll notice there are a lot more 450's than 250's.  You spend too much time controlling the bike. Personally I would lean towards a 250 to 300.  If you have a chance ride some smaller bike and see what you think. Running trails isn't about speed.  

how much does it cost to upgrade the suspension on a 250f for the average 170 up to 260-270?

A 450F is set up for the same average rider weight as a 250F,

160 to 180lbs is the general range for a full-sized MX & enduro bikes OEM settings.

As for costs, look up the price of an aftermarket shock spring and a pair of forks springs.

Edited by mlatour

4 minutes ago, mlatour said:

A 450F is set up for the same average rider weight as a 250F,

as for costs, look up the price of an aftermarket shock spring and a pair of forks springs.

does this look like a decent bike? https://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/6025229450.html

Edited by lukem

no pics or link visible in message,

internet ads / pictures are what they are,

turds can be polished up to look great online,

it's in person you see the real deal (mechanical condition / upkeep)

Edited by mlatour

2 minutes ago, mlatour said:

no pics or link visible in message,

internet ads / pictures are what they are,

turds can be polished up to look great online,

it's in person you see the real deal (mechanical condition / upkeep)

Thanks for the info. I'll keep searching for a 250f for my first I think ill try to get one bone stock as possible 

If you don't plan on jumping / riding motocross but rather get into trail riding, 

preferably don't buy a high strung MX RACE BIKE.

Although MX'ers can be trail ridden, it is usually more advantageous to have an enduro / off-road specific bike with:

wide-ratio gearbox, larger fuel capacity/range, torquier power characteristics, headlight, plusher suspension, electric start etc.

CRF250X, WR250F to name some examples.

Edited by mlatour

9 hours ago, lukem said:

So should I get a yz250f, a kx 250f a crf250r and get a better suspension for my weight? How much does this cost to upgrade for that much weight?

how much does it cost to upgrade the suspension on a 250f for the average 170 up to 260-270?

You are still looking at race bikes. Not the kind of machine for the riding you will be doing. XR250, XR400, DRZ400, CRF250L, CRF230L all make more sense. Any bike you get will need the suspension done for your weight. Cost is between $300 and $600 depending on what level ios suspension work tyou want done though i have to wonder why that matters if you are considering race bikes that cost 20% more that great trail bikes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mlatour said:

If you don't plan on jumping / riding motocross but rather get into trail riding, 

preferably don't buy a high strung MX RACE BIKE.

Although MX'ers can be trail ridden, it is usually more advantageous to have an enduro / off-road specific bike with:

wide-ratio gearbox, larger fuel capacity/range, torquier power characteristics, headlight, plusher suspension, electric start etc.

CRF250X, WR250F to name some examples.

9 hours ago, William1 said:

You are still looking at race bikes. Not the kind of machine for the riding you will be doing. XR250, XR400, DRZ400, CRF250L, CRF230L all make more sense. Any bike you get will need the suspension done for your weight. Cost is between $300 and $600 depending on what level ios suspension work tyou want done though i have to wonder why that matters if you are considering race bikes that cost 20% more that great trail bikes.

You guys make great points I was looking at those mx bikes because all the people I know have mx bikes but they ride trails. I started looking around at a wr250f and a wr426f . I also saw a yz426f close to my house for pretty cheap. would these be ok bikes to start on?

Edited by lukem

1 hour ago, lukem said:

You guys make great points I was looking at those mx bikes because all the people I know have mx bikes but they ride trails. I started looking around at a wr250f and a wr426f . I also saw a yz426f close to my house for pretty cheap. would these be ok bikes to start on?

Those are still race bike, albeit, woods race bikes. The 426's are also pretty old machines and race bikes require throughbred servicing. I'd not rec. any for you. Pick somenthing more reasonable, perhaps a couple years old and in showroomshape. Ride for a year then possibly reconsider 'your steed' in a year.

9 minutes ago, William1 said:

Those are still race bike, albeit, woods race bikes. The 426's are also pretty old machines and race bikes require throughbred servicing. I'd not rec. any for you. Pick somenthing more reasonable, perhaps a couple years old and in showroomshape. Ride for a year then possibly reconsider 'your steed' in a year.

I should also mention my budget is probably around 1500-2000 

1 hour ago, lukem said:

I should also mention my budget is probably around 1500-2000 

Then you Def. do not want a old race bike. You'd probably spend more than that in the first year fixing it up. That price range is one of the bikes I mentioned and will be 10 or so years old.

Second the xr4, im 245 and it pulls me fine. You can actually do the springs yourself pretty easy, cost couple hundred buck's. If your only trail riding there's no need to get serious suspension work done, springs should be enough. Xr or drz4 are Cheap to maintain and they hold their value, for when u want to upgrade.