Warm up exercises

So what do you guys do to warm up before riding an event?  One of my favorite exercises is to ride figure eights on a flat piece of ground until I am turning full lock both left and right.  I find this helps me get my mind on balance and weight placement.

On 4/13/2017 at 7:02 PM, GlennRay said:

So what do you guys do to warm up before riding an event?  One of my favorite exercises is to ride figure eights on a flat piece of ground until I am turning full lock both left and right.  I find this helps me get my mind on balance and weight placement.

I haven't rode an event yet, but I do need to warm up my balance and timing at the start of practice. I'm with you on the figure 8 turns. I also like to do some little bunny hops to warm up clutch and throttle timing. When it's possible, a small log around the height of the skid plate is nice to warm up on.

Edit: I'm still working on getting more consistent with a variety of techniques (you've seen in my vids :p), so I do need a thorough warmup to build confidence. Hopefully I'll start needing less warm up as time goes on, so I'm not in need of a break by the time I'm warmed up lol!

Edited by jacob429

You will need less warm up time as you progress in skill, but it will never go to zero.  That's why the full lock figure eights work for me.  They get my mind and my weight centered.  Especially after getting up at zero dark thirty to load the bikes and gear into the truck and then drive two to four hours to the trials, unload the bikes and gear, sign in with the trialsmaster etc. 

Edited by GlennRay
forgot some of the fun getting ready.

Before every ride I do full lock turns left and right. Then I pick a spot to start a small wheelie- and a place to land the front wheel.

I'm just barely an intermediate- to put in perspective.

The full lock turns, left and right always seemed to help me the most.  That is why I always rode figure eights prior to competition.  The front wheel loft and place is also a great exercise.  All of these just serve to remind your brain and body that we are in trials riding mode now, lets remember everything we ever learned!  I topped out at the Advanced level in my club.

Good luck and good scoring!

Glenn